noob?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok just bought a 1.5 gallon tetra cube with filter currently no fish in it...I plan on putting my frog o sphere frogs in it...I'm running the with nothing in it and tank seems a little hazy after a week I guess this is the bact. bloom. Also what fish and how many can I put with the 2 frogs? guppies or tetras? in my 1.5 gallon cube.

What what what? Frog-o-sphere frogs? What are those. I've kept cuban tree frogs, barking treefrogs, bullfrogs, leopard frogs, fire bellied toads and other misc. amphibians and honestly, unless I know what species they are I can't help you.

As for adding fish in there. Don't do it. 1.5 gallons is far too small for fish and the frogs themselves generate HUGE amounts of ammonia as air-breathing carnivores are wont to do.

EDIT: Looked it up.
They are african dwarf frogs. Easy to keep I suppose. What is the set up of the fish tank right? I personally find the sale of animals, especially amphibians as novelty items repugnant. But anyways, the 1.5g will suffice for them but I say that you get at least 5g.

EDIT2: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html read up on cycling. It's important for your frogs as well as fish. Frogs not only breath through their nostrils but also their skin. Not only that they take up all their fluids from it. It's important to keep the water clean otherwise you will have some dead frogs.

+1
Seems to me like a 1.5 would be pushing it even for more than frog, let alone adding fish in there.
Also, AFAIK dwarf african frogs do need to come to the surface for air, therefore reducing your total volume slightly more, so keep that in mind also.
Welcome to AA by the way!!:)

thx..I think Ill put a couple of guppies in see how they do Im sure the frogs will snack on them. I dont plan on really upgrading tank size yet but for $20 complete cant beat it. I dont want anything bigger...not yet anyway.

Instead of feeding live guppies as cannon fodder purchase a water test kit. You want your ammonia and nitrite to remain 0 and your nitrates to be below 40. And please, read about cycling. It's important for anything living you intend on putting in your tank.

Ok are the quick dip test strip kits decent..they seem to test everything.

Ok are the quick dip test strip kits decent..they seem to test everything.
frankly, no! They're good for a quick generalisation, but quick generalizations are not what you need when cycling a tank.

Back
Top Bottom