Not sure if this the correct forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy fm

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have two adult sword tails, one black Molly,one Cory catfish and eight baby sword tails in a ten gallon tank. How long do I have before the babies get so big that I need to move every one to a larger tank,assuming all of the babies survive. I plan on getting a twenty gallon,but not for several months.

Wendy, you are at the right place. You will be fine in your current tank for a few months. You might want to buy an inexpensive net mesh baby enclosure, (hangs on inside tank wall) to up the chances for the babies survival. I think you will like the bigger tank much better. Be sure to Check in with AA when you get your new tank for info on how to transfer your filtration, and fish to their new home hope this helps

Wendy, you are at the right place. You will be fine in your current tank for a few months. You might want to buy an inexpensive net mesh baby enclosure, (hangs on inside tank wall) to up the chances for the babies survival. I think you will like the bigger tank much better. Be sure to Check in with AA when you get your new tank for info on how to transfer your filtration, and fish to their new home hope this helps

This helped immensely. The idea of transferring from one tank to another makes me nervous so knowing I can wait a bit is good.

I wouldn't wait personally, that's a lot of fish in a small tank, and the waste released is only going to get worse as the fry get bigger. Plus swordtails are on the bigger size as livebearers go. If you can upgrade to a 30g might be better than a 20, especially if they keep having fry, and you may want to look into rehoming some in the future, as they will keep breeding.

how many fish you can keep in a tank depends on your filter capacity.

I have a 15 gal with 15 mollies 6 zebra blennies 12, 3 to 4 in stone crabs.

My 55gal breeder right now has about 200 mollies, and females are dropping at least,15 to 25 babies a day.

I do have to start moving the young adults out to the pool.

I just wanted to use this as an example that filtration determines the fish tank bioload.

No, it also depends on the space, cramped fish are prone to to being stressed out, stress leads to illness. Your tanks sound massively overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom