Notoriously awful at planted tanks-- need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm trying again for a planted tank (probably for the last time if this one doesn't work out)

I have a 29 gallon with currently no stock and no cycle. I have a 20w flora-glo light, a heater, an aquatop cf-400uv, and lots of hopes and dreams.

Obviously, I'm going to establish the plants first, and then I will add the stock. I want to shed all previous knowledge I have on the subject of planting an aquarium and start anew. I would appreciate advisement on type of substrate to use, type of plants (I am thinking I want an Asian regional aquarium but I'm flexible), whether my current light is sufficient, and anything else I will need to make this work.

Any tips related to creating a successful planted aquarium and stocking thereof will also be much appreciated. Thanks!

One of the most important things, by far, is light. You'll need more to really achieve your goal.

On a side note, I was in Carrollton a few years ago (was visiting Rome), beautiful place.

With that size tank I'd work first on the light, at least a dual t5no, or possibly a dual t5ho, although that'd be a bit much. Substrate can be what you want it to be, if you are planning to go heavily planted and want to keep it simple just go with ecocomplete or floramax. If there is a tight budget, we can go over other options.

Thanks for the response! I came to Carrollton to go to college and am currently looking at attending graduate school here just so I don't have to leave.

I looked into the light you suggested. I will definitely upgrade to the t5no. Just to confirm, is this it?

Amazon.com: Aqueon Coralife 58120 Aqualight T5 Freshwater Dual Lamp Fixture, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies

I was looking at some eco-complete but I was not sure whether it was necessary or how much I would need. It claims to be able to speed up my cycle which would be a definite plus but I'm always skeptical about those claims.

I've been saving up to do this so the budget isn't too tight.

I wouldn't count on it to do anything to the cycle, but it's good substrate and simple to work with.

That light is o.k. but it'd probably put you in the low-medium range, I'm more into overpowering the lights and then reducing light intensity because it's easier to do that than it is to increase it, so I usually opt for t5ho's since they are usually around the same price or sometimes cheaper. (check ebay).

However, if you never plan to run pressurized co2 then the dual t5no is fine, but if you do plan to eventually go high tech then I'd go with the t5ho's and just reduce light intensity if it happens to be more than you need for now.

Several ways, some lights have individual switches for each bulb. You can also raise the fixture or put in a light diffuser like a piece of glass or eggcrate.

All of those are easier than adding intensity which usually requires a new fixture.

Back
Top Bottom