Now what? (Fert question)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story as to why, but the betta and these plants went into a 3 gallon tonight, and I'm wondering how to keep the plants happy.

Questions:

Should I add a root tab?

Should I add excel? (And how much)

Have I added enough Equilibrium?

Specs:

3 gallon medium light
Whisper filter, fully cycled
ADA Amazonia under "sand" (actually Nat Geo sandlike substrate that bears an unfortunate resemblance to sno globe sno)

Crypt Parva
Micro sword
Ozelot sword (yes, I know they get big)
Brazilian Pennywort

My tapwater is like distilled so there is enough Equilibrium and cichlid buffer to get up to 3 degrees each GH and KH.

Yes I know it's common to say Bettas need 5 gallons. He's lived in this tank and smaller and larger and has been most active and "happy" in this one.

The ozelot looks funny because it floated for a few days and it's stems turned temporarily. It has pebbles guiding its leaves backward, and the pennywort has it's branches caught on the heater cord, so the bottom guys get light.

I like screwy scale (big plant small tank) and didn't have an option for ozelot, he will either get pruning or another home soon.

In the mean time, I'd appreciate some help keeping everyone happy here. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406526021.568613.jpg

And yes I will watch for ammonia from the new aqua soil!

Long story as to why, but the betta and these plants went into a 3 gallon tonight, and I'm wondering how to keep the plants happy.

Questions:

Should I add a root tab?

Should I add excel? (And how much)

Have I added enough Equilibrium?

Specs:

3 gallon medium light
Whisper filter, fully cycled
ADA Amazonia under "sand" (actually Nat Geo sandlike substrate that bears an unfortunate resemblance to sno globe sno)

Crypt Parva
Micro sword
Ozelot sword (yes, I know they get big)
Brazilian Pennywort

My tapwater is like distilled so there is enough Equilibrium and cichlid buffer to get up to 3 degrees each GH and KH.

Yes I know it's common to say Bettas need 5 gallons. He's lived in this tank and smaller and larger and has been most active and "happy" in this one.

The ozelot looks funny because it floated for a few days and it's stems turned temporarily. It has pebbles guiding its leaves backward, and the pennywort has it's branches caught on the heater cord, so the bottom guys get light.

I like screwy scale (big plant small tank) and didn't have an option for ozelot, he will either get pruning or another home soon.

In the mean time, I'd appreciate some help keeping everyone happy here. Thanks!

Yeah, root tabs would be a good idea for an addition to the substrate. Excel could help your plants too. At first, follow the directions from the bottle, and you can slowly increase the dosing as needed. Dosing ferts would be a good idea too. You could dose something simple like products from the Flourish line or API leaf zone. I can't help you out with the Equilibrium as I've never used distilled water in my aquariums, so I'd probably tell you something wrong haha. Your tank looks sort of dark. What lighting do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All of those plants need root tabs except the pennywort. Rosette plants in particular need root tabs, stem plants don't always but sometimes do.

Also, start dosing excel at 1 ml per 10 gallons, and work your way up to 3 ml per 10 gallons. If you see algae issues that continue working your way up to 5 or 6 ml per 10 gallons.

Your equilibrium are mineralized water correct? If so than you are pretty much fine but more would be beneficial. 5 kh would be safer and provide a better buffer.

Also, start dosing excel at 1 ml per 10 gallons, and work your way up to 3 ml per 10 gallons. If you see algae issues that continue working your way up to 5 or 6 ml per 10 gallons.

Your equilibrium are mineralized water correct? If so than you are pretty much fine but more would be beneficial. 5 kh would be safer and provide a better buffer.

Thanks for the tip. This 3 gallon tank holds 9 quarts of water, so if I figure out how to dose it easily I'll try.

Equilibrium doesn't affect KH, just GH ... My tap is 0.1 degrees of both or less. I use chichlid buffer for the KH, but it raises pH too so I was afraid to add more. The pH is completely stable with KH of 3, but do you think GH should go up?

You are right about the kh, my bad. Yes I think a gh of 4 or 5 would be beneficial but if your tank ph is stable then you should be fine.

Cool. I'll add a teeny bit more equilibrium.

I've been reading Tom Barr's recipe for non co2 dosing ... Equilibrium, potassium nitrate, potassium monophophate ... Increase amount if using excel. I may try that, with root tabs.

I guess equilibrium can be use for GH, and for traces for plants. I was using cichlid salts for GH but equilibrium has a wider assortment of useful nutrients.

Cool. I'll add a teeny bit more equilibrium.

I've been reading Tom Barr's recipe for non co2 dosing ... Equilibrium, potassium nitrate, potassium monophophate ... Increase amount if using excel. I may try that, with root tabs.

I guess equilibrium can be use for GH, and for traces for plants. I was using cichlid salts for GH but equilibrium has a wider assortment of useful nutrients.

Could be worth seeing if lfs can test for phosphate. I picked up a phosphate test kit and am finding that between DIY root tabs and fish food, that I can skip dosing phosphate ferts.

I honestly wouldn't add anything except maybe a root tab per plant, once every month or two. Any more than that and you'll be trimming those swords every couple days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom