Odd African Cichlid Behavior/Or Not: With Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lonelobster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have this Aulonocara you see, and she likes to swim laps around my amazon sword, and she will do it for probably 5 hours at a time. She is eating and she seems to be under control... maybe she was a race car driver in a previous life because she only knows how to turn left...shes since been named D-Pat (Danica Patrick) and I really hope she survives!

here is the video: http://youtu.be/FrOdOH7EMnU

Last edited:
Hmmm.... haha that's weird. what size is the tank? If anything, I would say that it is neurotic behavior.

It's a 45 gallon tank. All 8 of the Aulonocara and 2 labs were added at the same time as juveniles. The oscar that you see at the end of the video is just there because his tank sprung a leak, but she would do this before the oscar was in there so i don't think he is making her nervous or anything.

How long have they been in the tank, and how long has the circle swimming been going on?

Fish don't have super complicated brains like other animals, but they can develop neurotic behaviors when stressed, over-crowded or just "bored", though most people will argue that fish don't get bored.

If you can, try switching up your tank and see if that helps. If its a territory issue, then switching everything up it help too.

They have been in there for 6 weeks and the tank is 3 months old. She started this behavior about 3 weeks ago. she does it once a day sometimes twice a day on and off for about 20 minutes at a time but over a span of like 5 hours... she'll stop if I start feeding while shes busy swimming laps.

when she is not swimming laps she is foraging through the gravel and swimming at the front begging for food like the others.

Back
Top Bottom