Odd Goldfish Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurelhed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I currently have 6 small goldfish together in one tank, and lately they have taken to lining up almost perfectly straight along one side of their tank, and just hanging out, looking out the "window". They are generally quite active and friendly. They seem to "line up" in the evening. Any thoughts?

+1
Some more info will def help to see if theres anything amiss. Answers to the above questions plus the type of goldfish they are will help us to figure out whats going on! :)

odds are you are overstocked with not enough filtration.. and your fish could possibly be suffering from ammonia poisoning.

by small what size do you mean?
filtration?
parameters?
tank size?
how long have you had them?

Oh, I am waay overstocked and know it. Filtering 250gph + 2 50% pwc daily to keep levels in check. I test regularly for ammonia, etc. They are in a 20 gal, soon to be split up into several larger abodes. They are all sweet, friendly and seem to be healthy. A couple that were showing faint black coloring on fins are back to pure gold. I think they are just-unique?

laurelhed said:
Oh, I am waay overstocked and know it. Filtering 250gph + 2 50% pwc daily to keep levels in check. I test regularly for ammonia, etc. They are in a 20 gal, soon to be split up into several larger abodes. They are all sweet, friendly and seem to be healthy. A couple that were showing faint black coloring on fins are back to pure gold. I think they are just-unique?

Wouldn't it have been easier to get the tanks ready before getting the fish?

If you have to change 50% of the water twice daily then the levels that build up can not be healthy for the goldies, what are the exact levels you have?

Rehome them in bigger tanks as soon as possible. The black you are seeing on their fins is ammonia burns indicating you have some serious issues with ammonia and nitrite happening. Keep up on the constant water changes until you can place them in larger abodes.

I only wish I had had warning that goldfish were coming home and I could have gotten them some decent accomodations! I just got a 65 gallon, and will soon move 3 of the fish to a small backyard pond. I plan to move up to a 75-90 gallon later. We'll have to see if everyone continues to act weird.

Back
Top Bottom