odd java moss growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
so I tied some of my java moss onto a piece of drift wood using plain old thread (not cotton) and plan on taking it off in a few weeks, however now the moss has a slimy green look to parts of it, bright green to the dull(ish) green I'm used to and almost looks melted:confused: would ferts and higher than normal light cause a odd pattern of growth or am I looking at some kind of mold? algae issue?

wow that doesn't look good. It reminds me of what my java moss looks like (the brown parts) when I've tried to keep it in higher temp tanks. For some reason I can't get it to grow in 80+. I don't know what that bright green is about.

Light should be good, its just a 10g with two 13w spiral cfls in it and all the other plants are loving it, in fact I have been rotating cuttings thru it and the newest a java fern has doubled in size over the last 3 days. UGF with a 140gph powerhead so it has a pretty good current, just pea gravel in it so I have been dosing it with a "all in one" liquid fert once a week.

*edit* both bulbs are 6700K as well

at this point I'm thinking its too much light as thats right at the top of the water, probably end up removing it

I put java moss about 4 inches below my filter outake, its a very nice green, no brown spots, and my tank hovers right around 80

wow that doesn't look good. It reminds me of what my java moss looks like (the brown parts) when I've tried to keep it in higher temp tanks. For some reason I can't get it to grow in 80+. I don't know what that bright green is about.

same here, i cant seem to grow any java moss in 80+ as well.
my java moss in 60+ is more green then the one in my 80+.

brown part mean its dead, wont grow back green.
you can pick it out n throw it away or keep it as it doesnt harm the other part.

try washing your moss every 2 weeks or every 1 month when doing water change. use tank water to wash it. This will keep fish poop out of the moss.

if the moss is all bunch up into a ball that can also be a problem as the other part of the moss wont get light.

other than that i got no idea y its brown as my do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom