Ok, I couldn't resist...the GBRs were too pretty...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codefox

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was going to do 2 or 3 schools of tetras in my SA theme tank but the GBRs at Petco were simply too pretty. I wavered on getting them several times since they're a bit harder to keep but the rest of the tank is looking so good and as much as I love the schooling tetras I'd rather give up one school for these guys ;)

This is of course after I just added a pair of angels on Sunday. These will be the last fish added for a while I suspect...4 weeks or so to make sure the tank is ready for the next inhabitants :)

Here's pictures though!

zia.jpg

ram1.jpg

gbr1.jpg

bleeding-heart.jpg

3rams.jpg

Nice find Codefox! Your GBRs and angel are beautiful, and I also like the pic of the bleeding heart. I hope you have more luck with the GBRs than I have had in the past. Your tank really is looking great!

The other angel wouldn't come out for the photo shoot tonight...that one is really pretty too. I hope I have some luck with them...I know GBRs are tough. I'm hoping that with my tank being heavily planted they'll have a pretty good environment to thrive in. If they don't make it...I'll be dissappointed but I know they're not easy to deal with, so I tried!

Sure, the important thing is that you try. Surprisingly, I've had more luck keeping apistogramma than GBRs. If (my fingers are crossed for you) the GBRs don't work out, maybe give some apistos a try. They are just as beautiful IMO. Best of luck!

Codefox said:
The other angel wouldn't come out for the photo shoot tonight...that one is really pretty too. I hope I have some luck with them...I know GBRs are tough. I'm hoping that with my tank being heavily planted they'll have a pretty good environment to thrive in. If they don't make it...I'll be dissappointed but I know they're not easy to deal with, so I tried!

I believe the planted tank is the key. And your tank looks great. (y)

Agreed... but I've also tried them in a planted tank. Maybe my LFS at the time didn't have such great stock.

Thanks for the complements...and Apistos are definately on the short list of fish. I wish I had an 150 gallon tank so I could put even more fish in ;) Some people have MTS...I honestly wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 tanks total. But I want them all to be huge.

LOL, I wish I could sell all my tanks (except the 10G breeders) and just get 2 265G tanks and keep the breeder tanks, lol. But the floor in the front room probably wouldn't hold, lol. The floor in the Master Bedroom wouldn't be a problem, as it's on concrete slab. :)

Keep us posted on how they do. Are they male or female?

Yeah...I limited myself to 55g until I'm not living in an apartment. I just wasn't comfortable putting something heavier than 1/2 a ton on the floor ;) Once I get a house one of these days, I'll get the absolute biggest tank I can afford. If I can swim in it...great!

believe it or not, those GBR's aren't even showing full coloration. give em a few weeks to get cozy in that tank and they'll brighten up even more, esp. as they grow a bit more.

I had issues keeping them too. Pretty sure it was my high Kh and Gh, coupled with CO2 injection and 50% water changes. Seemed like every water change resulted in a GBR dying within 3 days, but all other fish (tetra and ottos) were just peachy.

GBR are considered one of those 'sensitive' fish, the kind that do care about hardness and pH.

Codefox - your tank is GORGEOUS. I love it. All the best with the GBRs, keep us posted and keep posting photos of the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom