Old Broken Roots Left in Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sauroposeidon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had some plants melt on me (cleaned them too well with hydrogen peroxide dip), so I removed what was left of them. I have three banana plants left, which have proven to have an invasive, complex root system, which spreads from one side of my 20 long to the other. I'm having trouble telling which roots are which without tearing everything apart. If I missed some roots, could this eventually cause the dreaded-but-never-heard-of anaerobic pockets?

I use CaribSea Tahitian moon sand only, which is fine and packs tightly. No MTS to aerate the sand. Hate them.

I had some plants melt on me (cleaned them too well with hydrogen peroxide dip), so I removed what was left of them. I have three banana plants left, which have proven to have an invasive, complex root system, which spreads from one side of my 20 long to the other. I'm having trouble telling which roots are which without tearing everything apart. If I missed some roots, could this eventually cause the dreaded-but-never-heard-of anaerobic pockets?

I use CaribSea Tahitian moon sand only, which is fine and packs tightly. No MTS to aerate the sand. Hate them.

You can manually aerate the sand by poking it with a stainless steel tool or any safe object.

I have MTS in my tanks by choice.

Unless your leaving a massive root ball in the tank I wouldn't worry. Over time the roots will break down and just become detritus/mulm. I leave roots all the time when I remove big rooting plants and it's never been an issue. I too have MTS's in my planted tanks.

Back
Top Bottom