omg! i think my guppy is pregnant!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janeth0185

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just got my 10 gallon cycled and added a spotted cory catfish( ill be getting 2 or 3 more,didnt know they did best in groups til after i bought it) and also bought a guppy. well someone on this forum told me chances are my guppy is pregnant .well i googled how to tell if a guppy fish is pregnant and saw it has a black spot on the belly area and well she does.its tiny black spot . i was planning to add more fish but if she really pregnant wont that over stock my tank even though i just have 2 currently and well i wasnt planning for baby fish in the tank ! i cant return it cuz i bought it at a place not close to me , so if she really is what can i do.i dont want baby fish in there, i wanted to add other fishes i wanted !

Well not to much you can do unless you give her away. But as a side note if you have never seen a live birth its pretty cool.

Well not to much you can do unless you give her away. But as a side note if you have never seen a live birth its pretty cool.

well i guess it will be cool to see that, but can i still add more fish to my tank then ?? i heard if i just leave her in the tank and she gives birth chances are she will eat her babys.so i guess if thats true i can still keep my plan on buying the other fish i wanted to add to the tank

Well if you leave her in a tank when she is giving birth you can almost guarentee your catfish will eat all of your babies. Female guppies have 20-50 fry at once.

Thats the thing with having guppys, they breed like crazy so you have to expect new fry often. Rather then get a fish that doesnt give birth that often, cause right now, every few weeks I see new fry in my tank but I let nature take its course which helps keep the tank from being overstocked with guppys.

Let us know what decision you make.

Back
Top Bottom