One of 3 Starter Guppies Passed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caniac22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I lost a tank about 2 weeks ago and then cleaned everything with steaming hot water and a little bleach (tank had ich) and when I got everything stabilized I went to Petco and wanted to do a community tank with my 15 gallon column tank. I had the rep test my water for chlorine and everything was golden. The sales rep was very knowledgeable (Showed me pictures of his 6 tanks and one was 250 gallons!) but any way I told him I wanted guppies and neon tetras and then a center piece fish. He suggested starting with 3 guppies to cycle the tank. He also suggested I buy an air pump because my tank is horrible for aeration, and also a starter liquid for tank set ups so I did.

Got home let fish sit in bag on top of water for 15 minutes and then netted them out. Everything seems fine fish are flying around tank riding the air stones bubbles up to the top, but then 2 days later I saw one of my guppies was hiding in the cave not doing a lot. It was a little concerning but he would still come out to eat so I did a little research and didn't find a lot so I tested my water and everything was fine. Little ammonia but that's normal starting a tank.

This morning I wake up and the little guy doesn't want to eat, and then tonight he passed. I know there is nothing I can do to save him now but I want advice on if I should get a replacement since they're community fish, and what if anything might of caused it. My other fish are acting fine they swim together and eat everything lol.

Here are my test results.

PH is 7.6 - It seems like the tap water in KC is a little high. Both times my tanks had high PH but reading online it doesn't play as big of a role with fish as what people make it out to be.
Ammonia - 0ppm - .25 ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

Attachments

• 20150601_202839.jpg
    20150601_202839.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 86
Also since this is here one of the remaining guppies has a pretty bulged stomach. Could it be pregnant?

Hello fellow kc area person! I would just keep an eye on your fish and levels. Since your tank is cycling it could have had a spike somewhere. Or it could have just been a bad guppy. Pet store genetics and all. Sounds like your watching closely, so I'd guess the latter. If you want some good guppies when your cycled, I'd be glad to help a kc person out.

Happy Tanking!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also try drip acclimation next time. It works great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom