oops --- high nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jgeezer1986

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so i finally went out and bought the good API master test kit. First off, when i thought my tank was Ammonia 0.0, nitrite, 0.0, and nitrate 20, i was wrong. The Nitrates were actually over 80!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting that straightened out.

But i have another question. I am testing for PH. I have tested both low and high range. None of the readings really seem to match up to anything. Any tips?

This is something that i should have done a long time ago , just thought my cheaper test kits were working. Actually , the one that i used the most was instant ocean , and on the back it says its manufactured my Marineland. I thought it was ok.. Lesson learned.

One more question. I have three blue gouramis. Two females and a male. I also just added two Blue powder dwarf gouramis. That male is very aggressive toward all of the others, plus my angels. What can i do about him. I believe he is behind the loss of four of my Neons also. They all tied from a traumatic injury. You can see all of their fins were chewed up and their bodies mangled. He didnt bother the ones i had in there from the beginning cause they are all bigger, just the smaller ones i just added. I dont think the pet store is going to take him back and i dont know anyone who has a fish tank for him. Any ideas?

what is the low reading and what is the high reading?

you can try to set up more places for the other fish to hide or worst case get another tank.

the low reading seemed to be somewhere around 6.4 from what i can see, and the high reading looked to be 7.8. What i dont understand how there can be two different numbers on them readings?

i took the carbon out of the filter cartridges a while back to treat for ich. could that by why my nitrates are so high?

i took the carbon out of the filter cartridges a while back to treat for ich. could that by why my nitrates are so high?

No, carbon don't remove nitrates .... most likely is a lack of pwc, overstock, overfeeding or a combination of the 3.

The high range pH has a limited low range ... ie it is not accurate when it is near the bottom of the range. <ditto for the low range kit, it is not good at the high end.> The 7 something would be at the low end of the high range kit .... so I would think the 6.4 is the more accurate reading, as that is the middle of the low range kit. At any rate, it is not important what the exact pH reading is, as long as it is stable ... so use the pH kit as a trend tool. <If you want a really accurate pH - for adding CO2, eg. - you would want a pH meter.>

What is your water change schedule?

I change the water once a week... 10 to 15 gal of the 55 gal (aka 20/25%). I sweep the gravel each time. I am very careful as to the feedings. I feed slowly. When i feed the frozen brine, i dump in a little at a time and wait till the fish eat what i put in before adding more. If i see anything go to the bottom , i stop , but usually i run out before that happens. Along with that , i put some flakes in , and also , minimal . On the days i dont put the frozen brine in , i put three or four shrimp pellets in. The sink to the bottom , so its kinda hard to see what all gets eaten and what does not.

As for stocking , i have:

3 blue gouramis
2 angels
6 tiger barbs
4 zebras
2 mollies
2 sword tails
1 khuli loach
6 blood finned tetras
1 red tail shark

for a 55 gal , im thinking i should be fine , dont seem to be too many fish.. they were added in a little bit at a time..im thinking i am going to start changing 20g at a time though if my nitrates are that high

Back
Top Bottom