Opinion on buying fish online

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nextgeneration40

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do any of my peers on here buy fish online and have them shipped to the door? Pros/cons vs LFS? Have good luck doing this? Opinions Please!

I was thinking about this like an hour ago, actually almost posted a thread. I'm really curious about whether it's worth it.

I am lucky enough to live in an area with great shops that can order most animals and a boyfriend who knows a number for any animal. So, I have no reason to spend $30+ on shipping for a slightly less price on the animal that could be DOA.

I've bought many fish online, mostly from people on this fourm. I actually prefer it then going to my lfs. Shipping really doesn't cost anywhere near $30 in my case its only cost mostly around 10 at the most 15. But I wouldn't order online unless I was getting a couple of fish to make the shipping worth it. You don't have to worry to much about DOA if the person your buying the fish or inverts from know what they're doing. Also the quality of the fish is much better for the most part.

I was thinking more in terms of a fish website. From a breeder, I guess that makes sense.

And I was looking up how much it would be to ship a Javan Leaffish, $35 on thatfishplace.com.

Gesh they must really want the money out of ya. I have never paid that much money for shipping and I've bought over half of my fish online. I guess it just depends on the dealer and how they ship.

I have had great luck with buying online vs in stores. The city I live in is not too small, 250K population and we have about six stores that sell fish. I just find what I want online and typically get better pricing. I hate to pay shipping, but worth it when I get what I want.

I asked almost the same question about a week ago! I received a very positive response from those who have ordered fish online. I just ordered my first fish online directly from a breeder (not from a store) & she should be here today! If you want speciality fish, i think online is the way to go because none of my local lfs have been able to order/find anything i desire. Though the thought of a fish spending a day or 2 in a box still bothers me!

I have better luck purchasing from members than I do from even my favorite lfs. I have had 0 deaths with member fish and many with the lfs. I would not purchase at auction from a stranger or from an on-line store, though. Just my personal feelings.

Back
Top Bottom