opinion on plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BHead707

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i want more plants :dance:

here my setup 20G Long, 2 bulb T5HO 1-22Watt plant bulb and one blue bulb. usually keep lights on for about 4-6 hours a day( don't have a timer)

currently have amazon swords, jungle vals, java fern, crypt lutea, java moss, anubia nana

i want to have a plant that will make a decent looking carpet along the bottom, the plant that is in the middle foreground of

this tank on this page(toward the bottom)

Planted tank basics | Aquarium Fish Home

id rather not go into CO2 right now because i dont feel like spending the money

what kind of plants do you all like and suggest?

thanks,
Brandon

#1 Get a timer. You'll also probably need to increase your photoperiod.
#2 Get a bulb to replace the actinic

You have a ton of light on a tank that size. You'll probably need pressurized CO2 to stave off the algae. You'll also need to get CO2 if you want to get a nice carpet growing, unfortunately.

As far as plant selection goes, a 20 long is a shallow tank. Vals will probably look silly, and the amazon sword will quickly outgrow the tank, reaching almost 2 feet in height. None of those plants are particularly light demanding, so I'm wondering if you even are going to need all that light.

#1 Get a timer. You'll also probably need to increase your photoperiod.
#2 Get a bulb to replace the actinic

You have a ton of light on a tank that size. You'll probably need pressurized CO2 to stave off the algae. You'll also need to get CO2 if you want to get a nice carpet growing, unfortunately.

As far as plant selection goes, a 20 long is a shallow tank. Vals will probably look silly, and the amazon sword will quickly outgrow the tank, reaching almost 2 feet in height. None of those plants are particularly light demanding, so I'm wondering if you even are going to need all that light.

response to
#1) timer is in the future purchase list, wouldnt longer photoperiod increase the chance for algae with this much light?

2) are you talking about the blue light?if so i can do that

The light was a gift and i plan on keeping it throughout my upgrades as i go.Also I havent experienced much growth in any of my plants so they arent that tall. I guess i could do some CO2 ill have to look into it.

another idea was could i hang the light above the tank from the ceiling creating a larger gap between the light and the water?

You usually wont see photoperiod related algae under 7 hours or so. Light intensity is often a bigger factor than duration.

Can you hand your light? Absolutely! Some fixtures will actually come with wire and mounts to easier hang lights for this exact purpose. And then when you want more light, you can fairly easily lower it.

CO2 is the difference between blah and bang in a fish tank. You will never regret it once you get it, especially if you have the light and ferts to back it.

You usually wont see photoperiod related algae under 7 hours or so. Light intensity is often a bigger factor than duration.

Can you hand your light? Absolutely! Some fixtures will actually come with wire and mounts to easier hang lights for this exact purpose. And then when you want more light, you can fairly easily lower it.

CO2 is the difference between blah and bang in a fish tank. You will never regret it once you get it, especially if you have the light and ferts to back it.

ok then looks like i might have a project on my hands this weekend.
anyway,
ill get that timer and fix my photoperiod(can i do something like 3 hours on--off for 2--then on again for 4 hours?) this would all be during the day as well

what are the components of a CO2 system? i have paintball canisters that my brothers and i dont use anymore would those work?

ill have to get some DIY stuff to hang the lights but that wouldnt be bad at all i got the sufficient tools to do it. it is at 4'' now should i go to 8'' or 12''?

Did some searching and answered my own question about the paintball setup,

looks like i will need a regulator of some sort, a diffuser, a solenoid?, bubble counter, tubing(1/4'' looked to be what was suggested)

I understand what the function of most of these are and do i need anything else or need to take things off this list?

Ok that's seems like a pretty sweet deal. And it looks like that was everything I need

Back
Top Bottom