Oranda goes on vacation :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shany

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! I am new to this site but kind of have a cute story I would like to share.
Last week I posted my first post on this website regarding my Oranda with swim bladder. I had read online where a vet had sutured a cork to an Oranda's dorsal fin to assist the fish with staying upright due to swim bladder. Anyway, didn't get any responses on my idea I came up with but I did want to update on how this precious little fish is doing.
I did not follow through on my idea of super gluing a piece of cork to her fin. Although I still think it would have worked. :) Please keep in mind that I worked as an RN for several years so I like to think "outside of the box" when it comes to medical treatment. But what I did do was to continue feeding her green peas. I was pretty sure last week that the reason for her swim bladder was constipation. I had just recently purchased the Oranda and had not seen her poop since I brought her home. So I fasted for 3 days, then started the peas after that. BUT all long I have to be honest that I was not hopeful that I could help her. After day 7 I had still not seen her poop and she was swimming with her head completely down. Also not wanting to eat. I had to pretty much force the peas into her mouth.
So, this past Saturday my husband and son left Arkansas to go to Florida for a week vacation on the beach. But I knew that if I left her at home, with automatic feeders of course, that she would most likely be dead by the time we got back home. SO, my husband and I decided to take her with us on our trip! :lol:!! We took a small trash can and put about 4 gallons of her tank water from our QT tank and we plugged in the air pump using an AC adaptor and off we went!! Keep in mind that along with this little fish in a trashcan we also had 2 16 year old boys, 1 very large English Bulldog and 2 Pomeranians. I am sure some of you are thinking that I must have been totally out of my mind but at this point I was bound and determined that I was not going to lose this little fish. She deserved my best.
So today is day 5 of our vacation and Sweet Pea started pooping and swimming normally 3 days ago. My husband and myself are pretty proud of ourselves I must say. From my experience with this little fish and swim bladder, I think what helped her the most is just continuing to get the green peas down her. We fed her anywhere from 4 to 5 peas TWICE daily and a little bit of pellets every other day. Once we increased the peas she started pooping within a couple of days.
Sorry this is so lengthy but I just wanted to share this little adventure that Sweet Pea has taken and hopefully this will help save another life of these adorable little fish!!
Thanks for reading!

Forgot to add this

We also took her pump from the QT tank and also brought PRIME with us and test strips to check her water. Once we got to Florida and got in our condo, we put her in a 5g bucket and placed her pump and air stone in there along with the water that we took out of her QT tank and she was good to go! I have been checking her water levels and it shows no ammonia or nitrites with <10 nitrates!
This was all fairly simple to do, from my experience, and totally worth it! Plus it has been fun having her with us on the trip.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom