Oranda vs Moor - Feeding Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitch0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an oranda and a moor housed together.

The moor is 2-3 times the size of the oranda but still struggles to compete for food due to it's poor sight. The oranda can be on the opposite side of the tank to where I'm trying to feed the moor and swim over and get all of the food before the moor manages to get one bite.

Other than using a divider during feeding time, does anyone know of any tricks for making sure a less abled fish gets it's fair share of food?

The reason I'm not sold on using a divider is that the tank is planted and has driftwood in it, so this wouldn't work.

Driftwood can be quite dangerous to a moor that is quite visually impaired. My suggestion is to remove it as well as any other decor that may be sharp, pointed, jagged or potentially damaging to delicate eyes (this includes plastic plants) or is tight/confined.

Unfortunately, separation during mealtime is going to be your only reasonable option here in order to prevent your moor from starving. The moor will need ample time to search out and fully consume his meals before the divider is removed.

Is it possible to remove it in a container while feeding, or one of those hang on the side nets/boxes until it finishes eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it possible to remove it in a container while feeding, or one of those hang on the side nets/boxes until it finishes eating?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Removing a fish from its tank multiple times a day to eat or confining it to a net for meals would be extremely stressful if not injurious. A divider for meals is a practical solution. A more expensive solution would be to separate each fish into its own 30-40g tank permanently.

Thanks for the reply guys.

All of the plants are real and before putting the driftwood in the tank I smoothed off sharp edges and removed sticking out bits.

I did think about putting it into one of those hatchery/hospital floating tanks but I wouldn't want to have to catch it in a net daily causing physical damage and stress.

As the moor often comes to the top of the tank to look for food being dropped in, it might be possible to put him into a floating tank without netting him but I'm not sure if this would be less stressful.

I did wonder if he would voluntarily go in there (after the first time) knowing there would be competition free food and that he would be released after, but I'm not sure goldfish are intelligent enough to make that connection.

I had read about studies into goldfish memory that showed they could learn tricks to get food and remember these for several months.

I'm interested in seeing if I can train the moor to swim into a floating tank to get food. I've ordered one online to give this a go.

I've been managing to help show him where the food is currently - I put my finger infront of the glass where he is and slowly move it to where the food is. Most of the time when I do this he manages to follow and get the food.

Back
Top Bottom