Oranda with black streak on the top of his fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I just purchased an Oranda yesterday from a LFS and this morning I noticed he has a small black streak along the top of his tail fin.

Is this something I should be worried about? Other than the black streak he looks pretty healthy (fins are not droopy) and he swims with the others.

I did a water test and my water is ok.

Please advise.

What are your exact readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, & ph and what are you using to test them? What size tank is it & how many tankmates does he have? Black discolorations that appear overnight in goldfish are ammonia burns. Some more information will help!

0 ammonia
.25 nitrite
7.4 ph
didn't check nitrate since there is some nitrite still

I am doing pwc every other day. My tank size and fish are in my profile. Please let me know if you need more information.

This black streak I suspect was on the fish already when I purchased it, but I just noticed it this morning.

Thanks! Def possible the streak was already there & its also possible the streak is only now showing up due to the conditions he was in at the lfs (or being shipped to the lfs). I would do a water change of atleast 50% to get your nitrites lower and keep an eye on him. If he develops any other problems, please let us know! Otherwise, he will heal up on his own with healthy water. :)

I don't know what to say about it appearing overnight--it appears to have been said :) --but my goldfish had black on him when I got him. Did some research; apparently, it's the baby coloring and will fade. Either that or ammonia burns--jury's out on that one. Since some folks who breed not to sell get black marked youngsters, I'm guessing baby color is a good guess with ammonia burns being second choice depending on conditions.

Back
Top Bottom