Ordered ghost shrimp...did I get something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessev74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've checked Google but I'm looking for a better opinion. If it's a whisker shrimp I'm putting it with my betta...doubt he'd mess with him. I don't think it's a red claw shrimp because I don't see any claws at all. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456179442.239747.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

AImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456185245.080694.jpg another pic. Is this guy gonna eat my fish

I recently got what I think to be whisker shrimp as well, they really are only a threat to shrimp and other small crustaceans. IMO fish aren't at a risk. Whisker shrimp have longer arms with "claws" at the end that grab food. I don't think the true ghost shrimp have this, so it is most likely whisker shrimp.

Yeah I noticed the little claws today and realized he is most definitely not a ghost shrimp. I've read some horror stories about the whiskers. Plus I have a colony of RCS, and 2 Mexican dwarf crayfish (CPO) that I really like. Think one whisker shrimp is a threat to 12-15 RCS and the CPOs? He's about the same size as the CPO right now.

Yeah I noticed the little claws today and realized he is most definitely not a ghost shrimp. I've read some horror stories about the whiskers. Plus I have a colony of RCS, and 2 Mexican dwarf crayfish (CPO) that I really like. Think one whisker shrimp is a threat to 12-15 RCS and the CPOs? He's about the same size as the CPO right now.

I have a feeling that they could take down shrimplets and smaller shrimp, but CPO's should be fine. IMO I'd move him in with the betta. Btw, I love CPO's! I've had a few during the hobby and a favorite invert of mine.

CPOs are far and away my favorite invert. I've had 4 (sadly lost the last 2 when my old tank cracked), and they've all been very peaceful. Right now have 2 males in a 10 gallon. I catch them riding my mystery snails all the time, and they are terrified of even the RCS haha

Back
Top Bottom