Ordering online for delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willikris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone had experience with this? How did it go? Who did you order from? What are some reputable sites? Should I avoid having fish delivered and just stick with my lfs? I'm planning on getting some fancy gold fish and the last time I went to my lfs, their stock looked pretty bad...and that's coming from a newbie!

Just looking for your expert opinions :D

I have ordered from live aquaria and pet solutions, both are great! I would highly recommend, though pet solutions is a bit cheaper and I think they have a better koi/goldfish selection

Always support local when possible. Maybe ask them when they order, and if they could do some custom orders for you. Try to work with them first before going to big superstores online.

Are you seeking specific breeds or gender of fancy goldfish? I can make some recommendations if you know what you have in mind and what type of budget you have to work with.

Are you seeking specific breeds or gender of fancy goldfish? I can make some recommendations if you know what you have in mind and what type of budget you have to work with.

I'm mostly interested in black moors. Budget....that's not in my vocab when it comes to my fishies! Lol

In my opinion, unless you have an independent pet store, not Pet Whatever, you're better off going on line. I've read goldfishonline.com is good.. For my stuff, I buy from Consolidated Fish Farm, Select Aquatics, Blue Grass Aquatics, Aquabid - You can do your home work on sellers-Blue Ridge Gold Fish Farm and several others. Some of the places buy from ship air cargo and have minimum orders of $300 or a number of boxes. If your budget can sustain that p.m. and I'll let you know who I get wholesale stuff from.

As for gold fish issues, it is what you don't know that gets you. The chain stores buy in super bulk from importers. Most goldfish imports are from Thialand. The cost to tranship one box of fish is approximately $200 and the fish cost only pennys on the dollar. If you pack 800-1,000 fish in a normal wholesale packing bag, like Florida farmers use for 250-300 livebearers, then you can get them over here at a reasonable price after losses. The fish, up to5,000-6,000 are then placed on large vats appropriate for 1,500 fish. The loss ratio is approximately 50% during shipping to destination. The fish are then heavily doesd with medications typically at a rate of 6-10 times the normal limits. The meds kill off still more of the fish, and those that survive are kept heavily medicated and in the coldest water possible to increase oxygen levels. Industry standards call for holding fish 3-5 days prior to reshipment. Once the fish are packed back into boxes, they get sent by ground to the chain store locations. The not all that lucky survivers are then sold to you. If you find out what day they get their fish, observe new fish the day they arrive and then come back two days later and you will note several fish missing and the rest perking up a bit. The missing likely went home with the trashman. After the store has had them 6-8 days new problems start to show. The fish have withstood a horrifying journey and may get lucky enough for somebody who cares and knows what they are doing to save them. Most just live very short lives. Keep in mind, you can buy fantail fancy gold fish from Bland's Fishery in AK, for $0.24 ea. per inch. Asian fish a 3" fish is around $0.09. Livebearers are typically between $0.25 from Florida but $0.4 from asia.

In my opinion, unless you have an independent pet store, not Pet Whatever, you're better off going on line. I've read goldfishonline.com is good.. For my stuff, I buy from Consolidated Fish Farm, Select Aquatics, Blue Grass Aquatics, Aquabid - You can do your home work on sellers-Blue Ridge Gold Fish Farm and several others. Some of the places buy from ship air cargo and have minimum orders of $300 or a number of boxes. If your budget can sustain that p.m. and I'll let you know who I get wholesale stuff from.

As for gold fish issues, it is what you don't know that gets you. The chain stores buy in super bulk from importers. Most goldfish imports are from Thialand. The cost to tranship one box of fish is approximately $200 and the fish cost only pennys on the dollar. If you pack 800-1,000 fish in a normal wholesale packing bag, like Florida farmers use for 250-300 livebearers, then you can get them over here at a reasonable price after losses. The fish, up to5,000-6,000 are then placed on large vats appropriate for 1,500 fish. The loss ratio is approximately 50% during shipping to destination. The fish are then heavily doesd with medications typically at a rate of 6-10 times the normal limits. The meds kill off still more of the fish, and those that survive are kept heavily medicated and in the coldest water possible to increase oxygen levels. Industry standards call for holding fish 3-5 days prior to reshipment. Once the fish are packed back into boxes, they get sent by ground to the chain store locations. The not all that lucky survivers are then sold to you. If you find out what day they get their fish, observe new fish the day they arrive and then come back two days later and you will note several fish missing and the rest perking up a bit. The missing likely went home with the trashman. After the store has had them 6-8 days new problems start to show. The fish have withstood a horrifying journey and may get lucky enough for somebody who cares and knows what they are doing to save them. Most just live very short lives. Keep in mind, you can buy fantail fancy gold fish from Bland's Fishery in AK, for $0.24 ea. per inch. Asian fish a 3" fish is around $0.09. Livebearers are typically between $0.25 from Florida but $0.4 from asia.

Wow... Very eye opening stuff! So very sad! :'( Thanks for sharing tho! I will check out the online stores listed. Thank you!!!

Try RainGarden goldfish or Dandy Orandas. Steve (owner of RainGarden) is very nice and has the best shipping rates of anyone out there. If you do not see what you want, just email him and tell him what you are looking for as he breeds all of his own fish.

Dandy Orandas (formerly associated with the Goldfish Connection) has live weekly auctions of stunning imports. The auctions are off for the holidays but I believe start back up mid January.

Buygoldfishonline sells fish online from their site and on eBay. So far, they look promising from the people that I have spoken to that have purchased fish but they are fairly new.

Goldfish.net has a very sordid reputation. Buyer beware even though they have some beautiful fish.

Private breeders are the best source for quality fish, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom