Oriental sword dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatPlantedTank

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've moved it 3 times and I don't have high gravel but my other plant is doing good. Any suggestions? Or is it even dying? The furthest back plant is the one that I'm worried about

ForumRunner_20130715_232129.jpg

ForumRunner_20130715_232107.jpg

My gravel is also a thin layer. My mom isn't very wealthy so I can't get gravel. But maybe tabs. Either one it the other

How thick is the gravel?
The tabs are just osmocote (terrestrial plant food) put into empty pill casings, frozen in ice or wrapped in a thin layer of tissue paper and inserted into the substrate.
It's not dying but it doesn't look as good as it should. Is it new to the tank?

The gravel is about half an inch and terrestrial what? Can you explain what that is? And yes I just transfered from a planted 10 with about 3 inches of black gravel.

The gravel is about half an inch and terrestrial what? Can you explain what that is? And yes I just transfered from a planted 10 with about 3 inches of black gravel.

Gravel is a bit shallow but it shouldn't matter too much. Osmocote is used on pot plants and in the garden. Plants that are not aquatic like the ones we have in our tanks. The transfer will knock it around a bit but with some fertilizers and some time it should be fine.

Coulld I use vigero organic potting soil and freeze it in ice cubes?

I wouldn't. Soil needs a good cap or it will get messy fast. You can get Osmocote root tabs cheap from other hobbyists. You only add them every few months. You don't need much.

Gravel is cheap or add sand. You can get from gravel yard for very cheap or check for used tanks for sale with gravel.

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand.

Check sales threads here or on The Planted Tank. Free to join.

Best is to find a club near you. Might get gravel or other substrates free to VERY cheap.

Also what kind of light are you using ?

Swords aren't super picky, but they should have 2"-3" of substrate, Root Tabs, and regular water changes plus don't gravel vac.

Back
Top Bottom