Oscar acting funny help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidscrub

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently bought a 125 gallon Oscar tank he was fine for about a month but now he is swimming sideways and not eating pls help

Have you been doing water changes with similar temperature water and using dechlorinator?

Do you know your water parameters?
Ammonia
NitrIte
Nitrate

pH

GH/KH General Hardness / Carbonate Hardness
TDS /total dissolved solids

Have you successfully kept fish before? Know about the nitrification cycle?

If you need more info, check the article link in my signature which explains many important and helpful things for fish keeping.

Thanks for the reply I have been water changing weekly the ammonia nitrite and nitrate are 0 ph is 8 gh is 150 ppm not sure about the others the temp 79
I have another tank but it’s just a 20 with some guppies

I do know the nitrogen cycle and waited for ammonia to drop to zero

As for chlorine I live off a well with no chlorine so I don’t add chemicals

That is nice about having well water. Do you have the well water tested for heavy metals, safety for drinking periodically. I am always concerned with well water which might have metals or possible other toxins leaching in. As long as the tests are god any you wouldn't have any concern about those dangers, then it could have been stress from previous care, lack of care and the moving and such causing problems.

Is the belly round or sunken in at all? Have you seen the poop? is it white, stringy clear?

Could be internal parasites if so.

But it would be helpful to keep the water as ideal as possible. To reduce possible added stress.

His poop is ok his belly isn’t sunken but I rarely see him swimming he hangs out around the bottom could that be a disease

Oscars are a moody fish. Sometimes they pout or tear up the tank is you move their decorations/ rocks.

But it certainly could be an illness.

Do you see any tiny parasites around the gills, crawling on the body / near/ in the anal vent - eyes seem clear?

Check this and see if any of the issues listed could be illness he's experiencing.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fish-disease-index-for-diagnosis-and-treatment/

What foods are you feeding?

Last edited:
I feed Xtreme and I can’t see any parasites

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one are you using?

Do you ever feed live foods? Sometimes something like brine shrimp can help move things through the intestines. And live movement can spark an interest in eating.

Unless you see any other signs of illness, internal parasite, I am left still wondering? I have had friends with Oscars but not kept them myself. Hoping someone else may have the info you need.

Back
Top Bottom