Oscar buried alive :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

futurestep9169

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone please help?! I just cleaned my 55 gallon tank that holds 1 Oscar. I spent over an hour, cleaning the rocks and glass and ornaments. I did a 75% water change, so the water level was pretty low while I was cleaning everything off individually. The Oscar seemed annoyed but lively nonetheless.

Anyway, after all the ware was replaced and I was admiring my clean tank, I couldn't find the fish! Anywhere! He wasnt on the floor or in the filter. My fiancé moved the rocks around and almost 10 minutes later we found him! I don't know how he got under the rocks....I added them back very carefully and always try to add the water gently.

He isn't recovering very quickly. When we tapped him, he jumped but now he's just sitting there on his side :( what can I do? Has anyone experienced this?

That's called sulking. My oscar does that almost all the time after water changes. It's nothing to worry about, and they do that very often.

I agree with fishnatic. Before I rehomed my Oscar he would get like that when I got near him with the vac. I wouldn't worry. Oscars are drama queens sometimes but that's one reason to love them. Or why I do. They have so much personality.

Oh my, so true on "drama queen"!! We came home late one night to ours on his side (it was past his feeding time) I thought he was toast, hubby got the food out and the little punk sprung back up. Crazy fun personalities! Lol and don't even think of rearranging the tank, if he does not like what you did he will spend hours moving or burying things lol

Thank you guys so much! I was freaking out! He is PERFECTLY fine today! What a jerk! lol

He has never done this before...I was so concerned. How could he breathe under all those rocks? lol

Haha I miss my old oscars. My big tiger slept on his side floating at the top( like he was dead) for like a week I'd freak out and my heart would sink and he splash me to high he[[

Haha! Yeah, they are cool fish. I have video of mine chasing me when I walk to one end of the tank and back. If that's not cute, not sure what is. My fiancé is mad cuz he wants more fish ("WHY do we have a 55 gallon tank with ONE fish?!), but I'm too attached to the Oscar to get rid of him.

Oh, and mine is a tiger Oscar too :) he came with a friend but the friend didnt make it. I thought mine would be bigger than he is, especially since he has been in the 55 gallon for a few months now.

I was thinkin of adding a baby Oscar with my jaguar and green terrors but not sure how that would turn out

I was thinkin of adding a baby Oscar with my jaguar and green terrors but not sure how that would turn out

Haha hmmm, could be an interesting experiment! sometimes I wanna add a Pleco and convict but I was told that 55 gallons is barely even big enough for 1 Oscar.

He is probably about 6 months old. I got him at the end of December but not sure how old he was then. He was about an inch long when I bought him.

Our was about an inch when we got him too.... So in 21/2 years he has grown 9 inches... What do you feed him? Ours loves peas and bloodworms for treats but he eats the jumbo pellets as his daily food. Ours does not like the shells of the peas either lol he will spit those back out. Shelling peas is not easy haha.

Ill have him in my 150g, they get big quick so I think he could hold his own, my jaguars 8 inches now and thick

Our was about an inch when we got him too.... So in 21/2 years he has grown 9 inches... What do you feed him? Ours loves peas and bloodworms for treats but he eats the jumbo pellets as his daily food. Ours does not like the shells of the peas either lol he will spit those back out. Shelling peas is not easy haha.

Lol! Ours eats some regular ol' tropical food once per day and bloodworms. I tried giving him lettuce once and he wouldn't eat it. I also tried giving him a mushroom stem - the brat put it in his mouth for over an hour and made me think it was stuck in there! After waking the fiancé up to come help save him, the dang thing spit it back out lol. I will have to try peas! What other vegetables do they eat?

Ill have him in my 150g, they get big quick so I think he could hold his own, my jaguars 8 inches now and thick

I think so! Yeah, they definitely grow! I'm so attached to mine, I'll be sad if I have to get rid of him. I may increase filtration and add a Convict anyway. Bad idea?

You can put an oscar with a convict when they are small, but once they get big, they will start fighting. Also, don't try to put to oscars together unless the tank is over 150 gallons as they will fight because of territorial problems and sexual maturity. Just some tips:)
I got my oscar at 1,5'', he's a red oscar, and I have had him for just over a year, he's around 9''-11''. To make you're oscar somewhat grow, you have to feed him good quality foods, vary his diet and keep the water at pristine conditions:)

Back
Top Bottom