Oscar has white indents..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EmeraldMoon

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Oscar has formed these white indents into his skin, not sure what the cause is. He's eating fine but am concerned because more indents appear each day (mainly on one side). He's alone in the tank with 3 bottom feeders. What could be the cause/should I be worried?

Photo attached.

Attachments

• image-816157454.jpg
    image-816157454.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 97
Could be hole in head...? I believe from poor water quality and high nitrates. What are your parameters testing at?

Could be hole in head...? I believe from poor water quality and high nitrates. What are your parameters testing at?

It's not Hole in the head (HITH), it's Head and Lateral line erosion (HLLE).

"HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement."
-HUKIT

What are your current water conditions, fish, and tank size?

HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

HLLE is a nonparasitic condition usually caused by less than ideal food and water quality. This is common in oscars (and many other species). It does NOT respond to any meds, but is treated by improving food and water quality. In some very rare cases it has been demonstrated that the cause in those cases was carbon use in the filter.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement.

How many times have you sat there and typed that novel?

"HITH is a parasitic disease found in angelfish and discus. It is caused by Hexamita spp. and/or Sprionucleus vortens and is treated with metronidazole.

Oscars and other larger new world cichlids rarely get HITH, they get HLLE. They key to prevention and or curing is keeping the nitrate concentration below 20ppm(10ppm is better) and feeding a high quality and easily digestable pellet such as New Life Spectrum. Depending on how severe the deterioration of the sensory pits is there may be some permanent scarring but follow the above directions and there will be improvement."
-HUKIT

I guess the only thing I can do is +1.

Last edited:
Hey I sited my source! I was just saving him the work!

I saw that at the end. Wasn't busting your balls. Just noticed when I started reading it that it looked familiar but wasn't quoted, but then I saw your reference. You guys are very helpful, and I would not try and disrespect you.

Thanks for the replies, I've tested the nitrate levels and they are below 10 ppm and the tank is 350L. He doesn't seem to have an appetite today and I've spoke to someone at a fish shop (shown him the photo) and he thinks he might be developing 'hole in the head' & has recommended some 'Media+HexaEx' treatment.

Thanks for the replies, I've tested the nitrate levels and they are below 10 ppm and the tank is 350L. He doesn't seem to have an appetite today and I've spoke to someone at a fish shop (shown him the photo) and he thinks he might be developing 'hole in the head' & has recommended some 'Media+HexaEx' treatment.

Then the clerk at your LFS doesn't know what they are talking about because its HLLE not HITH. That medication will do nothing but make your wallet a little lighter.

What are the rest of your readings?
What and how often do you feed your Oscar?
What filtration do you have?
How often do you preform water changes and clean your filters?

Back
Top Bottom