Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stash101

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got an Albino Oscar for my 10 gallon tank before I new that 10 gallons was to small. He is in there with a Bumblebee Cichlid and a small algae eater. I understand I need to get a bigger tank. My question is how long will he be healthy in my 10 gallon if I do frequent water changes. He is one inch in size. I am going to start saving up to buy at least a 55 gallon in the next month or two. Then eventually upgrade to a 100 gallon wants I move from my apartment to a house. Is this time frame okay?

I was told when I asked about mine
**Oscars grow roughly a inch a month for the first year. Then slow down IF they even grow any more after that**
Mines in a 70g right now and as he is the only occupant thats ok.

A 55g and a 120g are both 4 feet long. Id just jump to the 120g unless you're worried about weight issues on the floor.

How long would he be fine in the 10 gallon? Also he is not very active unless I turn off the lights. Could this be cause it’s a new environment?

A 55g and a 120g are both 4 feet long. Id just jump to the 120g unless you're worried about weight issues on the floor.
How long would he be fine in the 10 gallon? Also he is not very active unless I turn off the lights. Could this be cause it’s a new environment?

If he's newly introduced I wouldn't run the lights more than a couple hours a day during feeding in a well lit room. The lights could be stressing him a little.

I would probably move him to a bigger tank in a few months if possible.

Will my bumblebee Cichlids be okay with my Oscar. They are all juveniles right now.

Since they are all being introduced together as juvies I am inclined to say yes, but every Oscar seems to have it's own personality s that may change as it grows older. Mine started out living peacefully with it's pleco tank mate then out of the blue started chasing it and not allowing it out from under whichever rock cover it had managed to hide under. My only suggestion is have a back up plan for rehoming the Bumblebees if the Oscar turns into a grump ?

I would say a couple months max is okay in the 10g. 10g imo is only good for nano fish or a Betta.

Back
Top Bottom