oto cats with a featherfin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Recently moved the bristlenosed pleco from my boyfriends tank into mine (kept picking fights with the synodontis catfish but never smart enough to back down) and since then the algae in his tank has come back with a vengance. He has pretty low lighting (2x15W aquarium/plant bulbs for 50gal tank) but the algae's grown fast. Thinking about adding some oto cats but worried that they might find their way into the featherfin's mouth.

Has anybody had either trouble or luck with keeping these two fish together? If it helps, the featherfin isn't much of a bully and typically not aggressive, just doesn't let anybody near his driftwood. Also, will oto cats only eat the green algae or the diatoms too?

Thanks!

i would be tempted not to put ottos into the tank with the featherfin as he may decide to take a disliking to them. When i had my featherfin he took a massive disliking to ANY bottom feeding fish.

I would stay clear of them more of the fact that while the otos are sleeping and the syno is playing he might find them tasty. I believe a 50 has enough play space for the 2 to get along.

I'd worry about the otos becoming snacks too. Check out nerite snails. Really, you should figure out why you're having algae problems.

Back
Top Bottom