Oto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vic021

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey well i am wondering if oto's will breed in captivity. I heard they would not but i think one of mine might be pregnant. What do they look like pregnant? My oto is a bit bigger and is roundish. She is active and is moving around a lot. If she is pregnant what should i do? Catching her would probably be a problem since she is in a 92 planted tank. What could i put in there to help the baby's and everything live?

They can actually, but It is hard to to catch the fry and eggs, most likely they will get eaten before you are able to catch them.

Its more better to have a separate breeding setup for otos with a ratio of 1 male to every 2 females. Usually water changes (With colder water than usual) activates their spawning behavior. The eggs will most likely be laid on the underside of a leaf.

Well they are in a planted tank with some cat's angles kribs and plenty of other fish but there are tons of plants. Not expecting them to have them but hey my kribensis had laid eggs right now there fry are growing. All the fish that have had babies so far (platy's kibs' and mollies) there fry swim down to my sump and stay there. So hopefully the oto's do the same.

A nice round belly is a sign of a healthy oto, but it's not necessarily a sign of spawning.

Otos are susceptible to water parameter changes and can actually starve to death in a new tank. When they do die, it's not unusual for them to disappear.

Back
Top Bottom