Otos catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey, I'm looking into buying a (few) ottos catfish for my ten gallon. Right now there is a rainbow shark (don't freak, I'm working on an upgrade) a bleeding heart tetra, a black widow tetra, and a rosy tetra. Would adding just one be ok? Do they need anything special? Am I moving in the wrong direction? I'm open to more suggestions, but I need at least one algae eater, and I'd like it to be a fish. I'm also concerned as to whether or not I should add driftwood. Please answer quickly as I have until about three pm tomorrow to decide. (I can wait, but speak now or forever hold your peace!)

Do you actually have an algae problem?

Oto's are generally better in groups of at least 3. They're very sensitive to bad water parameters, as well. So while they don't get large and do well in small tanks they seem to be difficult for most to keep alive unless they are adamant about partial water changes. They also seem to thrive more in planted aquariums.

As far as the diet goes.. algae wafers, zucchini and most other plant based foods are ideal to supplement.

Hey, I'm looking into buying a (few) ottos catfish for my ten gallon. Right now there is a rainbow shark (don't freak, I'm working on an upgrade) a bleeding heart tetra, a black widow tetra, and a rosy tetra. Would adding just one be ok? Do they need anything special? Am I moving in the wrong direction? I'm open to more suggestions, but I need at least one algae eater, and I'd like it to be a fish. I'm also concerned as to whether or not I should add driftwood. Please answer quickly as I have until about three pm tomorrow to decide. (I can wait, but speak now or forever hold your peace!)

I guess I wouldn't call it an algae problem, but there seems to be this slimy film over everything in the tank. So should I get an algae eater? Or something different?

best algea eater money can buy..... no living thing will take care of every algae out there. some algae in a tank is normal/healthy. in a newer tank its more prone to stuff until it becomes stable. is this slimy film brown?
100857_front200.jpg

No, it's clear. Do you have any other fish suggestions if you don't think I should get an algae eater? I'm still very new at this, and I'm open for pretty much anything.

the fish suggestions are once you get a new place for the rainbow shark get more of the same tetras since they do best in larger schools. your best bet is just to get a brush and brush it off from time to time.

Hey I wound up getting two pepper cories. :) they look great and my tank and will suck out any algae or fish food they can get their mouths on! I named them Jake and Elwood because the name just fits them perfectly!

Back
Top Bottom