Ouch my Rotala wallichii

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiCuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought six new healthy fantastic looking stems of Rotala Wallichii and next day all the leaves are gone! Eaten by the four golden mystery snails I keep to clean up the bottom litter from my fish.

I have many other plants and they generally leave those alone but this new one must be yummy to eat.

I love Rotala Wallichii are there other snail species I can use for bottom feeding purposes and will leave plants alone?

I have some Rotala wallichii as well. Its fine leaves are also eaten by SAEs if you aren't careful. That is one of the few plants that are harmed by SAEs. You could get some Malaysian trumpet snails (aka MTS). Those haven't harmed my plants at all.

I'm with Gene, Malaysian trumpet snails seem to be completely harmless to plants. Nerite snails (Neritina reclivata) have also worked very well for me in providing janitorial services without causing any plant damage.

MTS, Nerite, and European ramshorn (not Columbian/Giant ramshorn!) would be plant-safe. I have lots of MTS and ramshorns in my planted tanks and have zero problems.

Back
Top Bottom