Overstocked if I add another angel??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to add a second angelfish but am worried that makes me overstocked? Aqadvisor says so but I've read that's a very conservative estimate....?

Tank is heavily planted and doing EI so 50% PWC every week (every other week on odd ocassions when I'm just too busy).

Here's current stock:

6 australian rainbows
1 angelfish
5 guppies
15 neons
2 cories (I had a school but the others died)
1 molly
1 swordtail

Thoughts?

Whew! I was worried it was a 10g. :lol:

I don't know how much a load rainbows put on a system, but that doesn't seem overstocked to me. What kind of filter do you have on it?

Goodness in a 10g they'd be VERY cosy!!

I have an aquaclear 70

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You're pushing the upper end of that filter's rated capacity. I think you can add another angel, but I'd also be tempted to upgrade it to a 110 or add a second 70 to the tank. :idea:

Ok thanks. We are moving soon and then I plan to get a canister so I'll probably just leave it until then. Thanks!

Ok thanks. We are moving soon and then I plan to get a canister so I'll probably just leave it until then. Thanks!

Might make sense to hold off adding any more fish until after the move. But I'll second the idea that you could benefit from a bigger or a second filter. Otherwise I'd take the risk and add that next angel. Should be fine so long as none of those live bearers start reproducing like crazy in that tank!

IMO you should get more cories instead of an angel. They'll feel safer and show more interesting behaviors in a larger group.

If you do get the angel Eventually one angel might become overly aggressive and kill or harass the other less dominant angel. Or you might get a breeding pair and they may terrorize your entire tank.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Agree with fishobsessed! Angels are not usually peaceful when there is more than one! Better think long and hard about it first, and have a back-up plan if things go wrong.

Angels with rainbows... hmm, two opposite sides of the spectrum.
At feeding time with six rainbows, is there any food left for the angel and do the rainbows bother the angel?
Rainbows can be a handful, the are super fast and at feeding time, it's as if they go into a frenzy.

Yes, Rainbows are a PITA if you ask me! I only have one left, as he killed one, and harassed all the others, apparently when I wasn't looking. Needless to say, I'm not getting any more. My Angel held his/her own with the Rainbows. I just made sure they didn't grab the food out of it's mouth, literally. I would distract the Rainbows with food, then feed the Angel kind of off to the side. You can't just throw in food if you have both Angels and Rainbows because the Angel will need special care to make sure it gets enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom