Overstocked in a 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male female GBR pair, and 3 lemon tetras in a planted 10g. What if anything else can I add to the tank before it is overstocked? Looking for any suggestions, shrimp, snails, fish, anything.

Noah

I guess I'm view number 21? Its probably your title that is turning people off as well as having others to just check to make sure it's not a spam thread.
That said, I don't think you have room for many more fish. Not being much on freshwater fish, I'm not sure if you could add shrimp or not with the GBR's. You could definately add a couple mystery snails (that will no doubt need supplimental feedings). Do you have any algae cleaners in the tank? I didn't see any mentioned but you may want to consider a small species of algae eater. Otto's are nice as well as bristlenosed plecos. Or, perhaps a small group (3) of cory cats to help keep the tank bottom clean. Just some thoughts.

The snail idea is a good one...in a tank that size, if your pair mates, you might like the lower stocking numbers.

No shrimp with the rams that's for sure. Ottos (3-4) would be good in that tank and I wouldn't recommend a BN pleco unless you get one that is under 1.5 inches and are able to move it to a 20g tank when it reaches 3 inches.

In my 10 gallon planted I got 2 GBR's one male one female, 5 red-eyed tetras, 3 neons, 2 ottos, and might be gettin' some bubble bee goby, all my fish are doing fine.

That's a lot of fish for one tank, FCBB. It's not necessarily overstocked at the moment, provided those red-eyes are as small as I think they are, but it's certainly over 1" per gallon, and you'd need to be on top of those water changes with the GBRs' sensitivity to even nitrates.

I don't know much about the gobies, but I worry that's the fish I've read about as brackish. Not to mention that you're 50% over your 1" per gallon as it is.

For the original poster, I'd do more lemons come to think of it. I'd go as high as 6, add in a mystery or apple snail, and sit back to enjoy.

i agree with johnny, a few more tetras and a snail wont add much to the bioload, and tetras like groups, so throw a few more of em in to have palls!

I'd like to add that how much filtration you have is a large factor too.

I've seen a 15 gallon tank with around thirty 3" fish in it. It had an AC 70 HOB filter rated for a 70 gallon tank. This tank was maintained by a professional in a store that specialized in marine tanks. The fish were for sale for $15 each. The tank was healthy and immaculate.

I don't advise that kind of loading of course, but there are many more factors than just "one inch of fish per gallon", although that is a good rule.

Yeah I have a 20 gallon whisper power filter running on a 10 gallon tank that is 50% "overstocked" so I think i'm perfectly fine. Plus the plants do a heck of a job filtering waste as well.

FWIW, most estimate that a filter will actually filter half-2/3rds of the amount it says it will... although plants do help absorb excess nutrients. (I wouldn't say they really filter per se.)

I have a few neons and otos in my 10g with 3 GBRs. No breeding, since the GBRs are all male, but they all seem relatively happy with the space.

Back
Top Bottom