Overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK so I have 4 neons in a heavily planted 10 gallon. My mom has 8 guppies in a 60 gallon. I want to know if I can move the guppies to the 10 gallon without it being overcrowded.

Thanks.

Stocking has much more to do with water changes than tank volume.
What is the current water change schedule?
What is the nitrate concentration?

I generally do a 50% water change every week.
Just did the test - 40ish ppm. And up until yesterday there was 2 angels in there.
And its about time to do a water change(Thursdayish is usually when I do a water change).

Ideally you wanna keep the nitrates from exceeding 20. What kind of filter is on there? A stock kit filter might not be able to keep up with the bio-load of 8 livebearers. Certainly adding them all at once to a tank that only has 4 neons will likely cause a mini cycle. I think you can do it, if you really need to, it will be a bit overstocked, but if you can add them gradually that would be ideal. If not, you'll need to be testing the water regularly and keeping up with pwc's and dosing with Prime as needed. Maybe you could pick up another little filter to run on the tank as well and stuff it with media from your moms 60 gal. That way you could avoid the mini cylcle and definitely have enough filtration for the bio-load of those specific fish...

Back
Top Bottom