overstocking ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so I have heard the same thing and I'm gonna try to explain the way I see it. With more fish in the tank the aggression is dispersed among more fish than just one or two of the weaker links. I don't think it makes the fish less aggressive but just a larger pecking order. Correct me if I am wrong

ok so add more places to hide and so i can add more fish.... so see less fish but more varity .... huh not seeing the upside maybe with more choices to pick on none will be picked on?

I think I understand what you are trying to say. But with my cichlids they don't hide for very long. Just having more fish in the tank will give the more aggressive fish more, I guess you could say variety to pick on instead of the same fish all the time. So that the aggression is dispersed upon many instead of the same individual fish.

That and the extra fish in the tank make it harder to protect a territory so a lot of times they don't even claim one when overstocked.

The problem with overstocking for aggression is frayed fins (not too mention huge bio-load), and I don't like seeing frayed fins or dorsal fins that get permanently damaged. There is also no guarantee that you can prevent that one fish who just hates a certain fish, the one where the victim is "hunted" relentlessly.

ok so not sure if i want to overstock or not almost seems to be the better way but still not sure but just so i can get an idea i have heard 2 gal. for every inch of cichlid and so im guessing 1 gal. for every inch is overstocking or should is it like every 1 1/2gal. per inch of fish or what

rocksor said:
The problem with overstocking for aggression is frayed fins (not too mention huge bio-load), and I don't like seeing frayed fins or dorsal fins that get permanently damaged. There is also no guarantee that you can prevent that one fish who just hates a certain fish, the one where the victim is "hunted" relentlessly.

This is true with my blue zebra he has it out for my red zebra even after adding fish and a tank upgrade he still goes after the red zebra

Back
Top Bottom