Pairing GBRs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Filter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wanted to get a pair of GBRs. Is it ok to get a pair from the same place( same lfs) Would assume there is a good chance they are siblings. New to everything and was unsure if fish hatched together is a bad thing to pair up if they do breed. Tried to look up info on the web and all the info starts after you have paired them.... Thanks

I wouldn't recommend GBRs for anyone without PLENTY of fish-keeping experience.
Anyway, it doesn't matter if they hatched together or not.

How do you know Filter doesn't have plenty of experience with other fish and is just new to dwarf cichlids?
Rams are a fairly easy fish to keep as long as the basic requirements are met, as far as breeding they can be a bit irritating, eating their first few spawns before finally getting it right although some never get it.

RamCichlidLover said:

First time having fish and I got to rams

I recently got a GBR from my reliable m&p lfs and it died within 6 days :( The advice I've gotten on this forum is to buy from a breeder because lfs stock most likely will not live long. They are for sale on ebay and aquabid, or you could check with your local aquarium club.

I recently got a GBR from my reliable m&p lfs and it died within 6 days :( The advice I've gotten on this forum is to buy from a breeder because lfs stock most likely will not live long. They are for sale on ebay and aquabid, or you could check with your local aquarium club.
Most of gbr from the lfs are farm raised stock from Florida, which have been having problems with stock the last few years so local stock is the best bet, aquarium water isn't left to natures will.

Back
Top Bottom