PANIC!...at the aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got bugs. I got LOTS of bugs! Itty Bitty Tiny white bugs.
A couple days ago I noticed little white balls in a dotted line formation going on an angle up the back of my glass. Maybe 8-10 in a row. And 1, maybe three scattered on the front and side of the glass. I thought my nassarius needed company and decided to lay eggs.
I haven't turned on my light for two days cuz I started noticing my sand turning a tanish color. I decided to turn my light on and look for my lonely nassarius snail.(I saw him earlier today sifting around). I turn on the light and see a gazillion little white bugs "scooting" along the glass!!! 8O
The little white balls that were on the glass look dried up and almost transparent now; also flat instead of round. And there are a trillion little white bugs scooting on my glass. They are smaller than the tip of a ball point pen. I could make out their figure....It looks like two oval segments for a body, and twin antennae on the front and back of thier bodies. The smaller ones seem to have only one body segment, and tails instead of antenea on the rearend. They vary in size, although all of them are very small.
I'm assuming they hatched from the mini balss that were sticking to the glass on the aquarium. My tank is only 20 days old. Did I screw up already??? :cry: They are def way too small to get a picture.
Hopefully someone knows what they are!!! I am FREAKIN OUT!!!!
Are they Good? Bad?
:? Help!!

Sounds like harmless/beneficial pods to me as well. Amphipods and copepods to be more precise.

I agree with the two previous posts. This shows a nice, healthy start in a new tank, congrats!

That's great.
So long as there's no predators (fish) in the tank, and conditions/food is right your pods should have a field day breeding.
This is going to be your pony tank, right?
In that case, the more time/generations the pods have to breed before you add the ponies the better.
Seahorses love to "graze" all day long on pods.

HOORAY!! :smilecolros:
I am such a drama queen, I know.. :roll:
There's just so much stuff that comes along with SW! I don't know if it's good or bad or what?? This is much more different than all my FW experience. I have been reading...lots! But I'm one of those visual/hands on learning types. I can read all day and either forget everything or not understand what I'm reading until I experience it.....then I get it.
Yes, this is going to be my pony tank. It's very close to being cycled!! I'm gonna test my water and post an update in my thread. Keep watching my posts and PLEASE give ANY advice or experience you have! It really doesn't matter to me if you've actually kept seahorses before. This is my first SW tank too, so if you have ANY experience in SW, you can help me. I appreciate you guys so much! So keep posting!

Back
Top Bottom