PAR meter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure if it's the right meter, but it has some decent reviews and the price is right. True about cost vs quality, but sometimes you're paying for the name on the box and it's not always better.

Hopefully someone in the know will respond and I might be getting one too.

Mr. Limpet said:
Not sure if it's the right meter, but it has some decent reviews and the price is right. True about cost vs quality, but sometimes you're paying for the name on the box and it's not always better.

Hopefully someone in the know will respond and I might be getting one too.

I don't think I really NEED a par meter. Is there anything you can use it for other than testing your aquarium light levels?

fishfanatic said:
I don't think I really NEED a par meter. Is there anything you can use it for other than testing your aquarium light levels?

Yep. Room lighting, equipment testing like projectors and more according to the reviews. It'll be a tool in a couple of my boxes and maybe a tax write off to boot :D.

Mr. Limpet said:
Yep. Room lighting, equipment testing like projectors and more according to the reviews. It'll be a tool in a couple of my boxes and maybe a tax write off to boot :D.

Will it be water proof? (To stick down in the tank to test the levels)

That's not a PAR meter. It's a Lux meter. 2 totally different measurements and you can't convert LUX to PAR.

ccCapt said:
That's not a PAR meter. It's a Lux meter. 2 totally different measurements and you can't convert LUX to PAR.

I googled "par meter" this is why I double checked with AA ;)

ccCapt said:

DOH!

Bummer but it makes sense, since I heard PAR meters go for $400. Thanks for saving me research time (y)

Do they really run for $400? That is crazyness! Say good bye to that purchase!

how does it measure par does it go in your tank or something?

Do they really run for $400? That is crazyness! Say good bye to that purchase!
You can get them for under $350.
APG-MQ-200 Premium Aquatics - APG-MQ-200 Aquarium Supplies

how does it measure par does it go in your tank or something?
The probe that's attached to the PAR meter goes in the water.

I have the probe at the top of the meter. I just held it there while I tested the PAR from the sun on a summer afternoon.
par-sun_8-10.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom