Parasitic worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone.

This is a topic I've been wanting to make about my tank for a while. Because as much as I search I can't really find anything about it.

Every once in a while I seem to find the white stringy worms growing on my fish on different parts of their body, the fish never act abnormal and the worm seems to go away after about a week with no treatment. I fear that they have these worms all the time but their just not visible.

I also have a small fear that because I do put my hands in the water that the parasitic worm could possibly get into my body.

When I do see them they don't seem move at all. And they kind of look like they have a film around them.

I don't see them anywhere else in the tank other than when they pop up on the fish every once in a while. I can never seem to get a good picture of one but I will try to get one.

Does anyone have any kind of experience with this? Please help identify this cause I'm scared for my health a little bit here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I found this picture that is similar.

The worms I find on my fish never pop up to this extent but this is what it looks like when one is on them. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418122032.217559.jpg

Anyone?

Here is a picture of my blue ram ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418157540.903852.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418157601.102870.jpg

As you can see on his eye he has got a little worm

No there is no tail on it it looks just like what's on the neon tetra but they seem to come only one at a time. And have kind of a slime around them.

It's 48gallon tank

It's been set up for over 3 years

It's running an external eheim.

I have probably 10 Tera's, one SAE, one blue ram, one dwarf pleco, 4 oto's

All my water quality control stuff is good and under control. It's a planted tank.

I havnt put anything new in there but these little worms have been popping up every few weeks since June. They seem to go away after a couple weeks. And it doesn't seem to effect the fish unless they start growing in their mouth or something like that.

So far it's only effected everything but the algae eating fish at one time or another.

Their not anchor worm guys..

Anyone?

Ya I think I'll probably do that. I'm just trying to find out what it is so like I know I don't have worms myself I need to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom