PC Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsch21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok. I'm pretty stupid when it comes to PC lighting. I have a Custom Sea Life 36" hood. It has 2 double bulbs in it. I would guess they are around 33" to 34" long. The guy says they are 2x55W but I'm unsure. 1 of the bulbs says 96watt (10k I think) but is alot dimmer than the other bulb which is blue. I think it needs replaced.

question 1: Can someone tell me how to determine the wattage?
question 2: Can someone tell me how to open the unit to change the bulbs. I removed the screws and took off the end caps but that is far as I got as the glass couldn't be removed.

Question 3: How do you remove the bulbs?

Your help is appreciated
Marsch21

36" CSL hoods came with 96 watt bulbs. You need to replace it with a quare pin 10K 96 watt bulb. Current USA bulbs would be a direct replacement for that bulb. You can view them on my site if you like.

Basicly the wattage of a PC bulb can be determined by its lenght.

96W bulbs are approx 34" in lenght
55W/65W bulbs are approx 22" in lenght
36W bulbs are approx 18" in lenght
13W bulbs are approx 8" in lenght

I cant help with your other questions as I have not owned a CSL hood.

The 10K bulb should appear alot brighter than the actinic bulb so ya it sounds like it needs replacced. Sounds like you got this used. If this is the case then you might wnat to just replace both bulbs as they should be replaced at least every 12 months.

No the glass seems to be fixed in place. I didn't want to force it but I removed both sides and attempted to slip it out. It wouldn't budge. I'm guessing that I just take the bulb and pop it out by pulling down at an angle to unclip the top bulb holder then lift out the base?

Back
Top Bottom