Pearl Gourami - Scale/Body rot??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoreyLynn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, all! I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank. The occupants include 5 zebra danios, 2 opaline gourami, 1 rainbow shark, and 1 pearl gourami. The tank has been up and running with all its inhabitants for over a year now, with no problems. All fish get along, none have been sick, ever.
The only "problem" we've had with the tank was about a month to two months ago. We were out of town for work, and the person feeding our fish didn't know how to clean the tank. So we had quite the algae growth when we got back! A few spread-out water changes later, and everything was back to normal.
However, I went to feed my fish today, and when my Pearl Gourami came up to eat, I noticed these...spots?

The first picture shows the place where he normally hangs out. He's usually at the bottom right of the tank, and has always done so ever since we got him. You can see the spot on his back by his fin.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451696910.700767.jpg

The second picture is more of a close up. You can see the large spot on his back, and a small spot more towards the back of his head. It doesn't look like ich to me, this looks more like some type of rot. There is an indent where the markings are, indicating something has been "eating away" at his scales.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451696921.597080.jpg

You can kind of see the indent in the second picture, although the 3rd picture is the best, to see just how deep it goes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451696931.298386.jpg

The 4th picture shows a dark marking along his side, that I don't remember being there before. It is on both sides. Could it be residue from the algae bloom we had, or could it be related to this "rot"?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451696943.382943.jpg

The 5th picture is a close up of one of his eyes. Although it's hard to tell, he has a foggy whiteness on his eyes, almost like he's going blind?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451696956.833960.jpg

I inspected the rest of my fish after finding this, and they all look and are acting normally. The other fish don't seem to avoid the "sick" one.

Also worth noting, the sick fish does NOT have clamped and/or red, swollen fins/gills. He does NOT try to rub against decorations or other fish, as if trying to scratch an itch. He does NOT gasp for air at the surface of the water. He spends most of his time at the bottom of the tank, normally only coming up once in a while to get a breath of air, or eat.

Can anybody please help me figure out what exactly is affecting my fish, and if there's anything I can do to help him?

TL-DR: My pearl gourami has some type of unidentified body rot. Is there any help for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like injury IMO.
Looks pale in pic 4 behind the eye also..
Dark stripe is normal for pearls.
Fin Rot is really columnaris.
Here's two links.
First is easy and second very detailed.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention
IF it is columnaris then lower the temp to middle low 70s and treat with furan2 and kanaplex together.
Good luck I really like pearls.
You sure the opalines or rainbow shark aren't picking on him?

Textbook bacterial infection.
Use kanamycin, Minocycline , or Oxytetracycline in a 10G hospital tank

Back
Top Bottom