Pearls they scoffed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so like breed them in the 30 then move the parents to the 20? or the community tank they are in?
what about breed them in the 30 then breed them in the 20 then let the fry grow up and while the parents are in a community tank.

I'd breed them in the 30 long ( half filled with water) then remove the parents to the 20 then once recovered from spawning, back into the community tank. remember, the female comes out first then the male once the fry are large enough. (y)

ok i don't have a 30 long and i will most likely use what i have, but i will do a lot more recherche

Well I kind of thought these guys were a bust.
I moved the pair out of 20 back to 30 long yesterday and low and behold 20 g with fry all over the surface??
Wonder if the male has been eating them as this have been spawn 2-3 since last report.

From last report I actually have 2 fry that are almost 1/2 inch long now.
Was getting ready to use these 2 20g tanks,but I guess I only get one for now!!!

Many fry in 20g tall almost half full with water.
Being fed powder mix , vinegar eels .
This tank just got moved and is on floor waiting for lazy keeper to upgrade his tank stand in the fish room deal...
I try to move forward, but know I will change water for all my other tanks before I set up for more!
I wish I did this when I was younger....

You know I thought I had these guys figured out?
Tank full of fry and no issues last week and now maybe lesss then 5 besides one much larger that has been moved in with month+ old GBR.

For my first time ever I think I saw a hydra in the fry tank!
That and planaria....

Time for my stupid breeder question;
Could the hydra(very small) and planaria be the problem???
Not a problem but THE problem??
I started up with these guys to release stress from the GBR(FAIL).
But I do have 12+ in my 180 and sold over a dozen....
I still have a good pair in a 30 long but wonder if I am done with them or give them one more try?

I would bet on the hydra being the problem. I think there's an article on here somewhere about eliminating them.

Don't give up! If I ever get gouramis again, it'll be some of your pearls!

You know I thought I had these guys figured out?
Tank full of fry and no issues last week and now maybe lesss then 5 besides one much larger that has been moved in with month+ old GBR.

For my first time ever I think I saw a hydra in the fry tank!
That and planaria....

Time for my stupid breeder question;
Could the hydra(very small) and planaria be the problem???
Not a problem but THE problem??
I started up with these guys to release stress from the GBR(FAIL).
But I do have 12+ in my 180 and sold over a dozen....
I still have a good pair in a 30 long but wonder if I am done with them or give them one more try?

I agree with sinibotia about the hydra, but this just made me think about my breeding projects. "You know I thought I had these guys figured out?" Sounds like me and some of the animals I'll breed, but no matter how good you think you know them you will run into issues.

Just to put this in perspective in case you're not familiar with my panther crab breeding project thread, I spent a good six months researching the crabs to ensure I knew "everything" about them when they were out of stock, but the first time I kept them I failed miserably. Also, in doing a mini research project for one of my college classes I've found out even more about the species than I "knew" previously.

Keep pushing on, coralbandit.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gouramis can be a pain to raise ( easy to breed tho. ;) ) and with that, you need to make sure there is enough food for all those fry and constant clean water once the labrynth has developed. They do also produce a growth inhibiting hormone (somatostatin) which can greatly effect all but the few largest and strongest fry. ( You can read about this here: Somatostatin and somatostatin receptors in fish growth. - PubMed - NCBI) Constant clean water dilutes the hormone thereby making more fry available to grow. The catch to this is that you then need larger tanks or more tanks to grow all these fry in. So the fact that you had a few fry survive is "normal" for a typical spawn in a smaller aquarium ( and yes, a 30Gal would be considered a smaller aquarium. ;) ) The other option is to separate the largest fry when you see a noticeable size difference but that just makes it possible for the next few to do the same thing to their siblings.
If the reason is in fact Hydra, keeping things like snails in the tank is probably the source for them. ( Live plants as well.) Mollusks of all types are known carriers of many diseases and really need a long quarantine time to ensure that whatever is in them is out of them so they don't release anything into the tank. This is why I choose not to use snails anymore. Bare bottom tanks and a good siphon hose works 100% of the time. ;) (y)

Pearl Gouramis are usually very good parents so the male eating the fry seems unlikely, but you never now.:whistle: This is again why I remove the parents once the fry start to swim. The rest of the job is not really necessary for the parents to be there.

Hope this helps (y)

When you get these pearls doing what you want let me know. I'd like to have a display tank actually and I think they're beautiful fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I plan on sterilizing the 20 tall that holds fry(possibly only 2?) this week end.
Still have good trio in 30 long so probably lower the water and give them a last opportunity before they get to join the crowd in my living room 180g.
I do love these fish and think they are among the most beautiful.
I also think I have been locked in to rams and can't afford time tanks and dedicated different effort to raise just them?
If they do well in the 30 who knows?
I really do dig these fish but remember them being so much easier to breed and raise.
I have a admirable breeding challenge already....
I started with these guys a year ago I think so even with my little effort they performed worst then the rams I feel I still struggle with?

Yeah I hear that. You have to know when to call it quits if it's costing you time and money. That's how I'm feeling about the half black yellow guppies. Very pretty but not enough fry. Such is life.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I admire you and others trying so many different fish .
I need more tanks to have the control I require to continue.
The rams have my undivided attention.
I have never been so challenged,yet felt so rewarded with so little success???

Coral don't get discouraged. I'm sure in their natural environment less than 5% of the fry actually survive to adulthood, and get eaten by there parents, other fish, parasites ETC. And in a closed system, it is easy for parasites and other problems to multiply exponentially. Nature vs nurture there's still going to be uncalculated and uncontrolled elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How did it go with these Pearls?

Did the breeders go back into the DT? They are really beautiful fish. Really enjoyed the one male I had for years and always had breeding color. Someone else was talking about the Pearls which got me reading /thinking about them more.

Back
Top Bottom