Pepermint shrimp started cleaning my arm. Last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jspires688

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some new coral last night and while arranging them my peppermint shrimp which I have had for two weeks and barely see came out and started cleaning my hand went all the way up my arm it was really cool

eeeeek I think if my shrimp crawled on me I'd freak out. LOL I have 4 peppermints and love how they sway and kinda do their dance. Mine also scavenge throughout the day so I get to see em' usually.

Are peppermints known to clean?

I have never heard of them doing it but it did it felt like a bug crawling on you

I bought a cleaner shrimp the same night and have never seen it since I put it in my tank lol

I was debating a cleaner but they were a little pricey for me at $24. I also have a pistol shrimp I bought for my goby who hasn't even met him yet. lol That was like $14 down the tank, I never get to see him.

My pistol paired with my goby in like two days they are really fun to watch that little guy works his butt off lol

:-( Mine are at complete opposite ends of the 4 foot tank. All the pistol does is make HUGE piles of sand on my corals. I've had to move a few already. I also never heard any clicking, does yours click?

I have heard of pepermints cleaning. Its not as common but it happens. Carey, you could try catching the goby or luring him over with food and introducing them

Mine clicks every once in a while usually at night it's pretty loud I am usually in the other end of the house when I hear it mine has tunnels going under every rock in my tank

I never thought mine would climb on me he runs normally when I get close to the tank but not last night

I've had cleaner shrimp that did this regularly. My pep stayed on my hand when I placed it in the tank but it generally runs away.

My peppermint shrimp are becoming braver everyday. They've been in our tank for about 2 months. For the first month we thought they'd all died. Never saw em! Then we got rid of our dottyback (vicious little monster) and now they are cleaning up a storm. Rocks, sand, maybe even the tang.

I was debating a cleaner but they were a little pricey for me at $24. I also have a pistol shrimp I bought for my goby who hasn't even met him yet. lol That was like $14 down the tank, I never get to see him.

The 2 LFS I go to both sell cleaner shrimps at $30 :bawl:

My fire shrimp has began moving to a more open cave and walks out of the cave a little bit sometimes during feeding. I was surprised when I first saw this since it was always hiding between 2 LR

Carey, I found it's easier to move the shrimp to the goby rather than move the goby to the shrimp. Get you some 1/2 or 3/4 pvc, about 3 feet will work. Then try to catch the shrimp and then put him in the PVC and direct him towards the goby's burrow. I'm 2 for 2 on this method. Once on first introduction, and second when I put my fish back in the DT from the hospital tank.

Thanks for the tip. I've seen the pistol shrimp twice so far, and only half of him lol

The goby has gone over to the pistols area but they haven't "clicked" yet to speak i guess

Back
Top Bottom