Peruvian puffer/Colomesus Asellus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxlindaxx05

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
They are also called South American puffers. Does anyone know about these kinds of Puffers? I hear they are social fish but they fin nip when they are hungery. Do you think they would get along with cory's and swordfish?

I wouldn't keep them in a community tank. Just my 2 cents. Some people do but I think there's too much risk to your other fish and the point of the hobby is to enjoy in the well being of all your inhabitants. They may be small but they're still puffers. Someone else may have a different opinion though.

Yea you're right but they are so cute! Oh well i guess i can get them when I get another tank

I'm trying to get that fact through to my wife as well.. she wants figure 8 puffer .. she wants either multiples in one tank or to keep it with bumblebee goby or mollies .. keep telling her that just because it has been done.. doesn't mean it should be..

Agreed about long finned fish I.e gourami/betas etc, but I do keep one South American Puffer in my 25gal planted tank with the proper tank mates (two Sajica cichlids, one flying fox, salt and pepper cat) and all get along very well! Growing
Beaks and puffer dentistry will also come into play, one other thing to think of before getting one of these guys!

Yax

One figure 8 will live a lot longer than multiple figure 8 or with tank mates. 15 gallon will suffice for 15+ years if 50% pwc is done weekly and fed a good diet.

SAPs will need to be in groups of at least 3-4 with 15 gallons each, so the tank should be at least 55 gallons for 3. Any smaller will compromise water quality. The better the water quality, the longer SAPs will live and behave like they do in nature. Many people say their SAPs are nice in a community tank, but a majority of them also don't have a group of them in their tank. This species is not recommended for beginners due to their dental plates and diet.

Great filtration helps with the waste they produce. 50% pwc get rids of all the nasty dissolved organics and other waste that can't get picked up by filters.

Back
Top Bottom