Petco Fish Return Policy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i bought 3 mickey mouse platys from petco yesterday, and i picked out 2 female and 1 male and somehow i ended up with 2 males and 1 female, it hasnt been working out very well, so will petco accept returns on a live fish? On their return policy it says for deceased freshwater fish they will issue a full refund with a receipt and water sample, within 30 days, if they are in an established tank with good water quality. But it says nothing about live fish returns, I have the receipt, and its an established tank proper conditions etc, i just want to exchange one of the males for a female, but im a little skeptical because ive heard nothing about live fish returns and they seem like they dont based on the policy, and some things ive heard, and id prefer know before i go in there with a fish and walk out rejected lol. I know petco isnt the best place to shop but i really dont have a choice, so please no comments about the quality of there fish/adice/store, thanks

I am uncertain about the return policy, but I purchased my three fancytail goldfish at a local PetSmart, and all three have been thriving and now possibly growing in my 60-gallon. They actually have a nice selection of fancy goldfish -- and tropicals for that matter -- and even have extra-large Orandas that are quite beautiful at around three or so years old. In the past, I never would have walked into a chain store like this to obtain my fish -- we always went to specialty retailers we trusted -- but where I live now, there are just no options of private fish retailers (maybe one) and we must rely on the chain stores. Still, I don't think their selection of fish is too shabby at all at my local PetSmart.

Now that I think about it, there is some kind of return policy on sick/dead fish at this store; my advice would be to contact your store directly and just ask them.

You could always call and ask. I don't know why they wouldn't since you have a receipt, but who knows.

Never tried it, but if you explained what happened I can't imagine they wouldn't agree to a return. Even more so if one of their store employees was helping you; if you asked for 2F/1M and the employee gave you 1F/2M, then that is an error on their part and at that point they probably have a legal obligation to provide you with the proper exchange.

ok thanks, ill call them tommorow and see if theyll do it, i dont know how it happened, i got the aquatics guy that actually knows what hes doing and he got me the platys i wanted, and he knew the difference between male and female, he breeds them, then my mom came over and said we had to go to walmart, so they put them in a holding tank and when i came back there were 3 platys in a bag ready to go on the counter with my name on it so the dog lady gave it to me, i guess while i was gone she accidently sold the fish in the manager had in holding and put three new ones in a bag, i dont know for sure thats just my theory.

one more question, if i have 6 albino cory catfish and 1 veiltail female betta, along with 2 mystery one apple snail, how many platys can my tank hold without stocking over at all, my tanks 28g, and if i just keep 3 platys along with the other fish, how many african dwarf frogs can my tank support wuthout overstcoking? thanks

You can return live fishes at petsmart i did that when i first first setup my 10gal i returned 3 tetra 2 glo and 1 cory and got 2 platys and the rest of the money went for supplies

Back
Top Bottom