PetCo/PetSmart Tube Plants Rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
In another one of my threads, I mentioned that I have some plants that I originally picked up from PetCo. They're the plants that come in tubes with some sort of jelly at the bottom to keep them wet. Someone mentioned that these are not aquatic and will rot. Is this true?

These plants are growing and adding new leaves and roots and show no signs of dying. When would I begin to see them start dying if they are dying? I read that bamboo does the same thing, but I have one bamboo plant in a small tank and it looks great and is sprouting new stems and roots. It's been over four months, so I don't know if it just hasn't rotted or it really won't rot.

If anyone has any input, that would be appreciated.

they sell Amazon swords in those, so some must be aquatic....i just dont think they are typically healthy.

Yeah, I was very pick with the ones I selected, turning the things at different angles, trying to see around the label. A few of the plants have fallen apart, probably had stems torn during shipment, but overall the plants have rooted and are growing nicely.

The plants in the tubes are a mix of both aquatic and non aquatic plants. You just have to be careful to only buy the aquatic ones. No different really than the standard plants that most LFS carry.

With the Lucky Bamboo, it's a plant that likes it's feet wet but to have the rest of the plant above water. Based on what I've seen other people reporting, this plant can last a lot longer than other plants fully submerged, but it's highly doubtful that it will stay healthy submerged indefinately.

i bought one and the roots were like brittle sticks it was so dry....i just took it back and returned it. PLus they are expensive IMHO compared to what i used to get the ones right out of the tank for.

Anyone in the Atlanta Area know a good place to get plants?

The only aquatics that PetsMart sells in tubes is Echinodorus (swords), so unless you know what you're looking for it's very likely you'll pick up a non-aquatic. Plus, I agree they're way overpriced. I much prefer to pay for just shipping from the fine folks here. :)

Atl300zx - I don't buy many plants in LFS anymore, but The Fish Store and More in Buckhead is considered to be the best all-round LFS in Atlanta and I remember them having a pretty nice selection. It's been about 4 years since I've been, though. I mostly get plants here in the Barter section and on Aquabid.

Okay, I will keep an eye on them and see if they look anemic. They seem to be doing okay at the time, but if things go south I'll pull them out. What do Swords look like?

Back
Top Bottom