pH climbing question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

libertybelle

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I tested my ph on my shrimp tank today and was surprised to have to pull out my high ph kit. It looks like it’s running around 7.6-7.8 or so when my source water runs about 6.8.

Tested source water again today and it’s at 6.8 still. So what is bringing up the ph in my tank? It’s a very thin layer of inert sand that’s been there since the last house, along with driftwood, also been in there at least a year. There are alder and IAL in there but it’s been ages since I preloaded them and they’re mostly broken down so probably not dropping the ph anymore, but I’m not sure what in there would be making it climb.

It’s not a huge problem, as I keep neo’s and they seem great, but I’d like to know what is going on. Breeding has improved since I moved about a month ago. I drip acclimated them when I moved here and haven’t paid much attention to the ph since then. I think I’ve lost 2 or 3 shrimp total since acclimating them to the new water, which seems pretty good to me considering they had to endure a very large (like 90%, dripped in) water change when their tank was moved.

I’m going to re test and do some more water tests tonight to try to figure out what is going on, so I’ll post more results when I know them. But I would love to crowdsource some ideas!

Source water (assuming it is tap or well water) may contain carbon dioxide. As the carbon dioxide is expelled from the tank after a few hours or so the pH may rise because carbonic acid lowers pH levels.

Yup, that’s exactly it! I only use treated tap (neos and bamboo shrimp are my only shrimp in there.) That day I posted I set some water out in a bowl to test that theory and the next morning it was reading like 7.8.

The water at my previous house was lower ph and didn’t rise, so I guess less co2 in the water. It was also softer something like gh/kh 4. This house has kh7 and gh12 and if the last month is any indication they are enjoying the harder water.

Breeding is through the roof since they settled into the new water.

Back
Top Bottom