Ph help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DannyBWell

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got my new water test kit an tested my ammonia is at around .10 ppm nitrate .25 ppm nitrite 5ppm ph was above the max and high range ph is at 8.2 with the water in my house its usually neat 7.6-7.7 I've been doing pretty constant water changes for the last week to get the nitrate down and it isn't making the ph go down what else can I do?

Hello, I would need you to answer a few questions before we can evaluate the exact cause and help you solve this problem. pH stability is a key factor, and although people might say fish are commonly aquarium bred, they will survive in this water, but will do better in a pH of 7,6 then 8,2 , and if we can find the cause, it can help you have happier fish with better colors(if that is the case).
Do you have any rocks or driftwood in the aquarium?
Do you have any plants?
Do you have carbon filtration?
When did you start noticing these high aquarium pH?
Did you add anything new to the aquarium(Excluding fish)?

I do have decorative rocks they've been in there for awhile now I don't have any driftwood I have some hornwort and java moss

I do have decorative rocks they've been in there for awhile now I don't have any driftwood I have some hornwort and java moss
Do you know what types of rocks these are? A lot of types of rocks are used for water buffering, so you might have a rock that is buffering you're water. You might have limestone, witch is a very common rock(in my aquarium experience) to be used, and it is known to buffer the water. If you know you're rock type, here's a great website that can give you descriptions about it: ROCKS USED IN AQUARIA
If not, posting a picture might help. Also, did you find this or buy this rock? Did you do a vinegar test(to check for calcite...)?

I don't know what type of rocks they are I got them from petsmart

image-4133989584.jpg

I also just tested my houses water that I use for water changes and its ph is at around 7.5

Hello, I would need you to answer a few questions before we can evaluate the exact cause and help you solve this problem. pH stability is a key factor, and although people might say fish are commonly aquarium bred, they will survive in this water, but will do better in a pH of 7,6 then 8,2 , and if we can find the cause, it can help you have happier fish with better colors(if that is the case).
Do you have any rocks or driftwood in the aquarium?
Do you have any plants?
Do you have carbon filtration?
When did you start noticing these high aquarium pH?
Did you add anything new to the aquarium(Excluding fish)?

that really depends on the fish, if it is live bearers or Africans, then a PH of 8.2 is pretty much perfect

also for the OP, try to pour some tap water in a cup with an air pump if possible and let it run for 24 hours, if no air pump, then try to stir it every once in awhile during that 24 hour period and test your tap water again. You may see the PH rise to what it is in your tank. This is because of the Co2 that is in your tap water (which lowers PH) gassing off, which will then raise the PH

I've done a 15% water change bothe yesterday and today and did a test it has dropped from 8.2 to around 8.0

Ok ill try that I've actually almost got my 75 gallon up and running I finish the stand this weekend and order all the heaters, filter media, thermometers, ect. Monday and I'm going to put the fish that I have in my 15 that I'm having the water troubles with in the 75 temporarily I have to clean out my 15 it is infested with snails and I can't get an assassin snail because of my shrimp putting those snails in there is the biggest mistake I've ever made

Back
Top Bottom