pH Problem/Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry, I'm new here so excuse any mistakes I might make. Ok, so I've been doing a lot of research on pH kH and dH, and it's driving me nuts. My tap water seems to be pH 8.0-8.4, with kH and dH both from 200ppm-300ppm. My tank has dwarf gouramis in it, and I plan to get tetras as well. a pH of 8.4 seems kind of high for them doesn't it(especially tetras)? So I'm not sure if I they will adjust or if I should try to alter the pH. I have an RO unit which we use for drinking water, so I could use that and buffer it to the right lev els, but I'm not sure what is involved with that. I'm assuming something like Seachem Replenish to add back minerals, and then Neutral Regulator or Acid/Alkaline regulator to get a stable ph. I'm quite confused as to what is the correct way to do this so advice would be appreciated. What do you guys think? Is a pH of 8.4 okay for gouramis and tetras, or do I need to change it? I'm getting a 29gal sometime this week, to upgrade my 10gal, so I'd like to get this resolved before I set up the new tank. Thanks for looking.

--Adeeb

P.S. Anyone used Seachem Stability? Does it work?

I would not use any chemicals to alter the ph level. The most important thing with ph is to keep it steady. Your fish will be fine after you aclimate them to the tank.

If you decide to alter it I would use peat moss or driftwood to lower it but stay will something natural.

Reactions: HN1
I would not use any chemicals to alter the ph level. The most important thing with ph is to keep it steady. Your fish will be fine after you aclimate them to the tank.

If you decide to alter it I would use peat moss or driftwood to lower it but stay will something natural.

+1

Welcome to AA! :)

Thanks for the replies. So would gouramis and tetras be okay in a pH of 8.0-8.4? And I've heard oxygenating increases pH, so should I keep my airstone off? And how about half tap water and half RO?

I'd have to agree with HUKIT, if you add chemicals you'll have to do it every single time. You'll have to remember how much every time. Some fish don't mind odd pH. But some are very sensitive.

Back
Top Bottom