ph problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owltid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my ph is high but i t wont come down ive been treating it for 3 days and its still the same .....HELP

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you're having pH issues. What have you been using to treat it? And more importantly, are there fish in the tank?

You don't want to use anything but natural methods (nothing bottled) to change your pH, and even then it must be done slowly so that the fish can acclimate.

What are your readings? Is the tank cycled?

I only have a couple of mollies and half a dozen guppies . its a new tank only just started fish been in for 5 days.. Im using ph down to treat it.

Stop using the pH Down. It'll cause more problems than it allegedly fixes.

What are your readings?

You're cycling with fish?

LyndaB said:
Stop using the pH Down. It'll cause more problems than it allegedly fixes.

What are your readings?

You're cycling with fish?

Agreed, ph really isn't too crucial, your fish will adapt to whatever it is and you will do more harm than good trying to treat it, especially using a chemical to try and do it. I'd just leave it alone. What size is your tank?

In addition to knowing what your amm/nitrite/nitrate readings & tank size are, what are you using to test your water parameters (strips or liquid)? Its also a good idea to check what the readings for amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph straight from your tap water source. You should let some water from your tap sit for 24hrs (with an airstone or bubbler if you have an extra one) and then test it. My tanks always reads @8 ph but my tap water is the exact same thing. Your fish will adapt to the higher ph-its ph swings up or down that can be dangerous.

As others said your PH isn't your main concern right now. Fish can adapt to whatever your PH is as long as it's stable; adding chemicals to try to alter it can cause more harm than leaving it where it is. Your main concern is your uncycled tank with fish in it and doing frequent water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite levels down until the tank fully cycles in 4-8 weeks. There's a link in my signature: 'new tank with fish;' it'll guide you through the cycling process. Good luck.

Many thanks to all your advice and links helped me so much its just so nice to know that there are genuin people out there..THANKS AGAIN...

Has anyone any advice as to which books to buy that actually have info and pictures for a novice .

owltid said:
Has anyone any advice as to which books to buy that actually have info and pictures for a novice .

I don't know of any books, I just use google and search through what comes up about whatever I need, and just keep in mind not everything could be right so try to get a couple of sources that say the same so you know it's a fact for sure.

Back
Top Bottom