PH problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my tank has been established for about 2 months now. Its a 60 gallon hex salt aquarium. As of right now I have 1 yellow tang, 2 clowns, 4 peppermint shrimp, and 10 hermit crabs. Also about 10 pounds of fiji live rock. All my perameters are perfect except 1.... My PH. Since my tank cycled my PH has been 7.8. I have added PH up with water changes with no success. I need it to be 8.0 to 8.4. I plan to add corals but need this problem fixed first. If anyone has any advice please help me. :)

Welcome to AA!
Open up some windows in your house....but looking at your location that probably isn't an option this time of year. Your pH at 7.8 is OK. It's normal for the pH to drop during the winter in colder climate areas where your house gets closed up and the air in the house has a higher co2 level than during the sunmmer when the windows are opened.
I would suggest not adding buffer to try and get the pH up. It will mess with your alk levels. If you really want to try to raise the pH, you need to get fresh air into the system and that can be done if you have a skimmer. You can run an airline to the outside and let the skimmer pull in fresh air.

So I drilled a hole to the outside behind my tank. My air hose to my skimmer is pulling in fresh cool air. I did it a week ago and checked my ph yesterday. It has gone to 8.2/8.3 and is holding steady. Thanks for the advice cause IT WORKED!

Back
Top Bottom