ph proublem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well last week I got my ro filter to make my own water due to th lfs water containing nitrates and phosphates well the lfs water was 8.0 the water I'm making is comming out 8.4 with instant ocean salt let sit with air stone for 3 days well did a water change last night this evening my serpant star was dead and my turbos are dropping like flys the star fish I pulled from the gulf of Mexico could not be better there's a small amonia spike and nitrates are at 20 ppm tanks 4 months old any imput would be help ful could this happen do to the ph difference

Nitrates are way too high. 10 ppm is lethal. More biological filtration might help keep that down. On my tank I have 3 biowheels and maybe 4lbs per gal of live rock. I ever have nitrate problems... only phosphates.... because I'm still waiting on my ro/di unit to come in the mail. Lol

Yea woke up this morning and two small stars were dead something is going on in there nitrates been 10 ppm for two months not sure how all of a sudden its crashing ya know

Also you said your "making" water. What are you doing to make this water? Like what kind of water is it u purchase from ur lfs?

Well my suggestion based on not knowing that filter system would be add bio media. Bio balls or adding like a 5gal sump would help to give u space to place more media without crowding the actual tank. Other than that id reccomend picking up an ro/di filter to make your water. I got mine yesterday and after doin 1 water change I already see a drastic difference.

What do you have inside your filter?

Also do you blow off your rocks before you do a water change?

Back
Top Bottom