PH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a 30 gallon tank and I'm getting it ready to put my fish in it in a few days. I tested the PH and it's @ 6. How can I get it to 7?

Only things in it are 3 decorations, heater and thermometer . Ph is good now

Raising Water pH

I got a 30 gallon tank and I'm getting it ready to put my fish in it in a few days. I tested the PH and it's @ 6. How can I get it to 7?

Hello Nik...

Adding baking soda to the tank water will raise the pH. But, changing the acidity or alkalinity of your tap water is risky. If you make a change, you'll have to monitor the water daily to maintain a specific level and not many tank keepers are able to make such a commitment.

Most aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies. So, it would be best to research the hardiest fish species available and go with those. Fancy Guppies, Zebra Danios, White Clouds and Platys are some good examples of fish that can tolerate pH extremes.

Come to think of it, your low pH is the perfect environment for plants. They'll thrive in the more acidic water.

B

Back
Top Bottom